Roof extension PD process.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just joined the site and been reading through some excellent advise.

I've just bought a detached bungalow with a converted loft but no dormers etc.

The roof needs replacing so i'm planning to add a rear dormer and i also want to change one of the side hips to a gable. I've been reading a lot of old threads about the hip to gable conversions but as the Planning Portal is un-clear on this matter, I'd really like to hear anyone's advice or experiences?

Also, this is the first time i've done anything involving PD and local authorities. Can i just start the work and keep within the guidelines or is there a process i should follow before and during the work in terms of certificates?

Many thanks in advance of any advise.

Ryan.

Sponsored Links
There's no process. If it's PD it's PD and you can carry on. Difficulty comes if there is a grey area - is it or isn't it? As long as you are sure then no problem. If you're not sure you can either seek advice from somebody who knows, or you could apply for a certificate of lawfulness from the planning department. The CoL is like a planning application but only considers if it is lawful or not. You would need drawings etc and the fee is £75.00. The fee for householder planning is £150 so you effectively save £75.00. The application takes 8 weeks.

Ok, excellent thanks mate.

So i guess then its just getting a decision as the whether a side elevation hip to gable conversion is considered PD?

Also, is adding a dormer something that building regs would have to be involved in?

Many thanks, Ryan.

Hip to gable is PD usually however not all members of our illustrious planning system know it. That is where you may run into problems.

Adding a dormer definitely requires Building Regs.

Sponsored Links
AS FMT writes, hip-to-gables are permitted dvelopment, but some planning officers don't seem to have got the message. If they persist, don't be brow-beaten into making an application; they just want your £150 fee to keep them in their cushy, feather-bedded, final salary-pension jobs to which they have become accustomed and regard as their birthright.

What you have to be careful of is not going above the 50m3 volume limit. Make sure the volume of your new gable-end addition plus rear dormer is not more than 50m3.

Ok, thanks. This all sounds good for my plans.

Obviously the main thing that is not covered by PD is any alterations to the roof on the front elevation. So if a side elevation hip to gable conversion extends the plane of the rear roof but also the front to meet the new gable side elevation, how can this be PD?

Trying to cover every question with this one as I want to be 100% sure incase I have to argue my point with Planning.

Many thanks, Ryan.

Stop worrying and have a look at this;

;http://planningjungle.com/wp-content/uploads/Part-1-of-the-GPDO-The-10-Worst-Permitted-Development-Loopholes.pdf

I can't remember which number hip-to-gables is but it's in there. I copied this actual document to an obstinate planning officer who was insisting to a client of mine that his hip-to-gable needed PP. He had to back down when he saw this.

Ok, thanks. This all sounds good for my plans.

Obviously the main thing that is not covered by PD is any alterations to the roof on the front elevation. So if a side elevation hip to gable conversion extends the plane of the rear roof but also the front to meet the new gable side elevation, how can this be PD?

Trying to cover every question with this one as I want to be 100% sure incase I have to argue my point with Planning.

Many thanks, Ryan.

The GPDO doesn't say you can't extend the plane of the roof it says you can't extend BEYOND the plane. A hip to gable extension doesn't extend beyond the plane it extends within the plane. Bear in mind you can't do a hip to gable if you're on a corner plot overlooking a road - because that would be extending beyond the plane towards a road. Otherwise you are OK.

Bear in mind you can't do a hip to gable if you're on a corner plot overlooking a road - because that would be extending beyond the plane towards a road. Otherwise you are OK.

John, I think you can now do this on a corner plot house. On p32 of the Guidance it states that it's not PD if it extends beyond the plane of any roof slope which forms the principal elevation...and fronts a highway.

So the gist seems to be that its OK on a slope facing a highway, as long as that elevation is not the principal elevation (ie doesn't have the front door etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back