RSJ into chimney for dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not that I dont trust the architect but I've been given so much different info! Help and advice please, I have an end terrace and I am having a full width dormer and the architect has specified an RSJ 7"x4" about 3.5m, not very heavy, about 65kg that will just support the dormer.

One side of the RSJ obviously goes into the gable end wall on a 300x100 padstone, the other side goes into the chimney breast wall but again only 100mm. I have removed the first skim of a few bricks where the padstone will go and can immediately see the chimney cavity behind and I'm just paranoid about whether this is right.

I have confirmed the job with my neighbours and have their permission but have been told so many varying things in the last 48hrs, i've heard 'no rsj into chimney breast ever' and also heard its ok single skim 100mm on a padstone because i'm not ingressing into anybody elses space and just resting on my side and removing a few bricks.

Below are some images the chimney side at the moment.
[/img]

I would greatly appreciate any advice on where I stand and whether I can continue as the roofers are coming to take the roof off in 2 days.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
can immediately see the chimney cavity behind

If by that you mean the flue, then definitely no. In any case, beams should not bear into chimneys

Thanks woody, i've since had somebody up and clarified, the chimney flue doesn't go straight up instead it comes round the outside in 2 channels and hence my beam would be inline with it which is as you say a 'no', architect is re-thinking. I would have hoped he'd have known the possibility of this chimney structure in the first place, obviously not.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back