Should I put in a building notice or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had quote from builder to remove a load bearing wall and put up a stud wall, in order to make a kitchen diner and reduce size of lounge

Builder (who is trusted) says putting in a building notice is overkill, as they will need structural calculations and so we'll need a structural engineer. Costs will increase and they will go overboard on size of joists needed. Is simple job

Other people are saying we should get one, to make sure house won't fall down and if anyone asks about it if we decide to sell house in the future

We are already right on the limit of our budget too. Worth mentioning

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes if you intend to sell soon this will likely become an issue when you come to sell. the forum is full of threads from posters who have either failed to get regs and are selling or nervous buyers having to take a risk on some unqualified builders work. You could always post what your builder is proposing for the forum to provide opinion.

ie span, what is the loadbearing wall supporting, size of beam/lintel proposed etc

OK. Thanks Fred. We don't intend to sell anytime soon. Take on board what your saying. My concerns are;
1. Quote we were given potentially no longer vaild
2. Extra cost (£154 to put notice in plus services of a surveyor costs plus possible increase in materials cost)
3. Delay in getting work done while all this gets sorted
3. Loss of goodwill between myself and the builder. He as quoted and we have accepted the quote and now we're moving the goalposts)

Better safe than sorry is obvious response!

Arguably I would say any 'trusted' builder who says don't bother with Regs may not be all that trustworthy .....

Sponsored Links
Going through building control is no guarantee that your house will not fall down.

Equally, having a builder do it without notice does not automatically mean it will.

Building control are not arbiters of quality, it is not in their remit. However, if your builder is a pro', then he should advise you of the legalities and be very reluctant to do the job without approval.

The involvement of building control is responsibility and at cost to (including structural fees) the homeowner and will not affect your contract with the builder.

now we're moving the goalposts
You shouldn't look at it that way. He is being sneaky and you will pay the price if you get found out.

I suspect also if you dropped the contract he would have little ground to pursue you as he advised you to break the law. Doubt a court would even entertain the case!

Look at it this way.

Building regulations only exist to protect unsuspecting people from poor building work, and to ensure that certain building work is done to a certain standard.

For that protection, the state charges a fee, and in applying, the property owner may incur other fees (ie engineers fees)

Now, if say a trusted builder performs work to the standard required, and is trusted to do the work properly and safely, then is there anything wrong with that?

If householder says to builder ignore the rules I suppose not.

As long as householder is honest when he comes to sell his house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back