shower/ sink drain link into kitchen waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a new single storey 3 meter extension into the garden at my house.
The drainage was moved due to this and I've a 3-port inspection chamber in the garden now which is linked underground to kitchen drain (and washing machine) and then it goes into the main drain running under the newly built extension.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mini-access-chamber-300mm-base/18837

I am planning to put a small shower/ sink in my new extension. Would I be allowed to link the shower/ sink waste to one of the available ports of the inspection chamber?

The reason I ask is because upstairs my shower/ bath/ sink are connected to the 4 inch toilet waste pipe which runs next to an internal wall into the ground floor. For me to connect the new shower to this 4 inch waste pipe would be a lot of digging work which can be avoided if I am allowed as I said above.

Also, I am planning to get a 100mm concrete block wall partition for the shower (instead of stud wall).
Would I need to plasterboard it from inside before I can tile on top? It would save me space/ money if I can tile directly. I am planning 100%tiles on the walls and floor, there is plasterboard on the ceiling already.

Your advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Drainage sounds fine providing its not having to run back on itself and levels/falls etc comply.

Who is doing the tiling? You or a tiler? If the blockwork's nice and flat then you should be OK, if the blockwork is a bit uneven then it will need more skill than an otherwise plastered wall to get the tiled surfaces to look nice and flat.

Thanks freddy, I plan to do the tiling myself.

Building control came around and almost said the same thing as you, i.e fall etc. They also want a water collector/ inspector from the shower before it meets the main inspection chamber. (I was planning to link directly to the 3 port inspection chamber).

About tiling, she advised of plastering the blocks before tiling, As you say, I will take a look when the builder has finished the block work to see what is the best option. Anyway its great to know that I won't be losing much space to the plasterboards.

Thanks once again.

Thanks freddy, I plan to do the tiling myself.

Building control came around and almost said the same thing as you, i.e fall etc. They also want a water collector/ inspector from the shower before it meets the main inspection chamber. .... That`s a bottle trap ;) ......About tiling, she advised of plastering the blocks before tiling,
Render with sand/cement :idea: The tiles will stick to that like stuff to an army blanket ;)

Sponsored Links
If space is an issue with this wall, why not build it from a thinner section timber, and clad that with a ply or cement board to get a flat surface for tiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back