Some research for later work... loft stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a house in harrow - London (in case it makes a difference in peoples response!). it is an end of terrace property, pitched roof on three sides.

In the near future, i am looking to install a staircase from the first floor landing into the attic space as a permanent staircase.

Now i understand that the location of the staircase will mean that the area where it comes out in the attic will lack headroom (ie in the pitch!), so has anyone had any dealings with or done the following:

leave the pitched roof on the front and back of the house, but square out the side of the property?

In terms of planning has anyone done this successfully or any tips on how to apply for it?

I would assume i would need to redo the joist work for the roof - would i need to essentially replace with steel as if i was building a dormer?

Any rough estimates on the difference in cost to build up one side vs dormer (shell only!)

At present this would realistically only be used for storage, but my wife wont go up a ladder, and in the future (10 years or so down the line) we may look to convert it into a bedroom...

Sponsored Links
What you are suggesting is a 'hip-to-gable' conversion. These are useful for gaining extra headroom and do not need planning permission (subject to it not being a listed building and no Article 4 direction etc).

Thanks Tony1851!

Now i just gotta work out if its better to just go hip-to-gable or take out the dormer as well!

Do many people do just hip-gable without the dormer?

I'll prob need to re-roof in a couple of years, so was thinking of doing it all in one hit.

Hip2gable enlargements are useful for getting headroom over the stairs - if you choose to put the new stairs directly over the existing stairs - which is usually the best option.

However, unless you have an unusually high ridge, you are probably better with a rear dormer as well. This will also not require planning permission as long as the total increase in volume of the roof is <40 cub.m.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony1851!

Now i just gotta work out if its better to just go hip-to-gable or take out the dormer as well!

Do many people do just hip-gable without the dormer?

I'll prob need to re-roof in a couple of years, so was thinking of doing it all in one hit.

Yes I'm sure some people just do a hip to gable but it all depends how much space you need up there. If you have an average sized end terrace and you want a bedroom with en suite you will probably need a dormer as well.

As Tony said as long as some simple rules are followed it can be done with permitted development rights (assuming they haven't been removed)

Personally, I wouldn't do it in fits and starts. I would just use it as an attic now with a decent ladder and then if you decide you need an extra bedroom do the whole loft conversion in one go.

(To be clear, I'm a homeowner who has done a loft conversion not a builder, architect etc)

I'll measure the interior height when i get hold of the keys - hopefully next weekend! From viewings i did, i estimate i could comfortably stand (ie no bending down) inside with head room - and i'm 6ft 2.

Need stairs over ladder as wife wont go up there without and its going to be mainly her stuff going up and down, and more importantly, the roof needs re-tiling as there is currently no felt between the joists and tiles let alone any insulation!

Two views of the house from google maps:

I have no advice to offer, but shall watch with interest.
I'd love to do a hip to gable conversion too, but lack funds at present.

Here are a few quick pics of mine if you are interested.

P1020632.jpg

P1020674.jpg

P1020647.jpg

P1020661.jpg

thanks indus!,

I can see one steel RSJ across the top, was there any others on the floor?

Also would it be possible to use timber across instead of steel or is that a no no under current regs? ( i ask as it was good enough for the floors, so is it good enough for the roof?

I've got loads of steel up there, when I get a moment I'll try and dig out some more pics.

However I'm not qualified to advice you what can or cannot be used in your circumstances

Look at that piddly little one at the bottom of the picture!
That wouldn't hold much up ;o)

I'm seriously considering getting a firm in to do the structure and then hitting the rest as and when funds are available.

Hey, Indus;

I've just noticed you've got a 'thankyou' from Woody - a rare accolade indeed!
:D
I got a 'thankyou' from him a couple of weeks ago, so we are both now members of that elite and priviliged group!! I'm going to get mine framed!!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back