Splitting a bedroom

Gep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a flat with a ridicolously big bedroom and I was thinking about splitting it into two smaller bedrooms.

My idea would be to build an internal (timber frame) wall to separate the new bedrooms adding a frosted glass window (possibly at the top) to the wall to allow light to come through from the other room.

Would this require planning permission?
Would this comply to fire regulations?

Many thanks,
G.

BEFORE
View media item 48362
AFTER
View media item 48363[/img]

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming the space on the left with exit to the balcony is a living room? If so the new bedroom cannot be used as one because its exit is through another room. Needs its own exit for fire regs as far as I know.

As cajar has advised, the newly-formed room would be an 'inner room' which may not be acceptable for means of escape purposes, particularly in a flat.

Additionally, it would not be adequately ventilated and would fall foul of Part F.

I doubt you would get a building regs approval for this.

The window is potentially a means of escape, so it won't be an inner room. It may depend on what floor of the block it is though

Sponsored Links
The window is potentially a means of escape, so it won't be an inner room. It may depend on what floor of the block it is though

Yes.on second thoughts it's not an inner room as regards part B. It still has the ventilation problem, though (no external window).

Aye you'll never be able to call it a bedroom legally or for selling so do it but beware it will never comply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back