Stairs and building regs - help needed ! ! !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in the 70s and has a metal spiral design under the handrail instead of typical spindles you would see on a normal set of of stairs. The stairs do not meet the regs in relation to the 100mm gap nor the 900mm height.

I don't like the spiral design and want to replace with standard wooden spindles and newel posts along with a handrail. The stairs are cut / open string so there is no baserail - the spindles would need to just go into the tread. The metal spirals are simply screwed into the treads.

I bought some 900mm wooden spindles but to meet the current building regs I would need them to be much longer than 900mm as I understand the measurement is taken by drawing a line along the treads of each stair. As a spindle will need to sit towards the 'back' of each step they would need to be more like 1000 - 1100mm to get the elevation to meet the 900mm condition.

I know there will be someone who has come across this before - I would be really grateful if you could let me know whether it is a requirement that I meet the 900mm regs or whether due to the age of my house and / or the fact I want to simply replace the spiral design with new wooden spindles and handrail it means that I do not need to meet them.

I have seen comments that the replacements "must not be worse" than the previous. This will be the case as I will look to adhere to the 100mm gap rules but the height would only be 800mm or so in places.

If I need to meet the 900mm then I would have to go and source some longer spindles I guess....

Many thanks in advance and let me know if need more info.

Sponsored Links
You can do what you like on your own house

Otherwise, there is no requirement to meet current regulations

Thanks Woody. If I come to sell in few years time will the surveyor check it all though and say I need to redo it?

Sponsored Links
A survey may or may not be done, and it may or may not be picked up.

Even if so, is a relatively minor thing, and no you won't need to redo it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back