Steel beams calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Anyone here know of an online structural steel beam selector that would satisfy building control!

I did do an HNC in structural elements and although i have still got my textbooks for which i ultimately got a distinction, however i cannot do the math anymore and seek help.

I know that it may be considered complex but its basically a UDL spanning were i have enlarged a window opening.

The loadings are quite simplistic and i am sure i can find figures for working out the load, there is just a snow on the roof to consider for imposed load.

Am i right in saying that I only need to prove shear and deflection parameters are satisfied for building control, the beams are very nicely bearing on concrete padstones 150mm bearing, its a cavity wall above and i have throughbolts and sleeves to give resistance to lateral buckling.

Any one prepared to take me through the maths

I can post all the information thats required if somebody would like to help.

Also if working on my own house what would be the PI situation with "self calculating and specifying structural elements"

Russell

Sponsored Links
I'm sure someone posted a link to a free online calculation not too long ago - in here or the building forum.

You need to prove shear, deflection and bending, plus padstone bearing capacity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back