Structural Calculations for new boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I wonder if someone could help me. I've recently received conditional building control approval for some refurbishment works and one of the conditions is to submit structural plans and design calculations for the new boiler flue and extract vent. The two openings will go through the solid brick rear wall of the property.

I was just wondering if this was a common request and if these are calculations I can do myself or whether I need to appoint a structural engineer.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of that before, normally the fitter just core drills a hole through the wall. Unless the wall is stone in which case it will need a bit more thought but yours is brick! Is it particularly near a window or similar oddity?

They will be about 800mm from the window and 400mm above. There is also an air brick in the same location.

I am thinking it might be because I'm going to need two openings? I assume it would best to position these apart from each other, but I'm not sure what the optimum distance is would be to separate them.

What a bizarre request. Your BCO seems like a bit of a loon

Get him to clarify what he wants and why

Sponsored Links
If both the openings are close together and of fair size enough to make it potentially need a lintel then maybe they could justify the request.. a bit rare thou..

What size are the openings?

As far as doing a masonry calc with holes yourself, urm depends on how good your maths is and if you are willing to research the masonry code and supporting litterature..
Cheaper to put in a lintel..

If both the openings are close together and of fair size enough to make it potentially need a lintel then maybe they could justify the request.. a bit rare thou..

What size are the openings?

As far as doing a masonry calc with holes yourself, urm depends on how good your maths is and if you are willing to research the masonry code and supporting litterature..
Cheaper to put in a lintel..

Yeah exactly thats is my thinking also. Why you need to do all these things. Instead of just making the hole in the wall. That is your wall isn't it.

I assume the boiler is fanned flued (ie 100mm diameter)?
If so;
Building regs state the flue should be 150mm from a window, door, opening into a building etc (horizontally and vertically).
British Standard BS5440 (flues) state 300mm from an openable window, door, air vent etc, (horizontally and vertically), 300mm from a boundary at each side and 600mm from a boundary in front.
I have never heard of calcs required as already stated they normall use a core drill and the 150mm is for structual purposes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back