Temporary Buildings and Planning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I correct in my reading that currently in 'the eyes of the law' all building structures are considered the same. Ie, a light construction open sided wooden lean to shelter bolted down to an existing slab is treated the same as a pucker brick built building with proper foundations, walls, doors, windows, etc.

And that it and any other extensions added after 1947 must be less than 50% of the area of the existing house.

Ie, regardless of how they are constructed, the floor area of a conservatory, detached garage, and lean to, must not in total foot print exceed half that of the original house?

I have read and viewed the 'planning portal' guide on outbuilding (link below) which does not mention temporary structures, which I have then read about in past threads on here.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

Thanks,

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in my reading that currently in 'the eyes of the law' all building structures are considered the same. Ie, a light construction open sided wooden lean to shelter bolted down to an existing slab is treated the same as a pucker brick built building with proper foundations, walls, doors, windows, etc.

And that it and any other extensions added after 1947 must be less than 50% of the area of the existing house.

Ie, regardless of how they are constructed, the floor area of a conservatory, detached garage, and lean to, must not in total foot print exceed half that of the original house?

I have read and viewed the 'planning portal' guide on outbuilding (link below) which does not mention temporary structures, which I have then read about in past threads on here.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

Thanks,

Daniel.

It's 50% of the curtilage, not 50% of the original house.

Cheers
Richard

Ahhh oohh, ok.

In otherwords, the area of land I own within my fences, minus the area of the house. I can then cover half of that in buildings? As long as they are behind the front line of the house, and comply height wise.

And that includes raised decking, but not block paved driveways and patios?

Daniel

[quote="geraldthehamster";p="2558646]
Ahhh oohh, ok.

In otherwords, the area of land I own within my fences, minus the area of the house. I can then cover half of that in buildings? As long as they are behind the front line of the house, and comply height wise.

Daniel[/quote]

That's what it says. That's the area around the original house, or the house as it stood in 1948. Subject to your outbuildings meeting all the other conditions for outbuildings that are mentioned in the guide you linked to.

I believe if you own a lot of land around your house, there can be quibbling over whether it's all within your domestic curtilege. For example, I don't think a paddock would be.

Cheers
Richard

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I believe if you own a lot of land around your house, there can be quibbling over whether it's all within your domestic curtilege. For example, I don't think a paddock would be.
No, fair enough, I dont.

The house is a fairly bog-standard semi detached 40's ex-council house, which occupys around 20% of the land its in, which is a corner plot.

Of the remaining land;
- 10% is the covered by a metal end-of-garden garage
- 5% contains a pvc conservatory adjoining the house
- 20% is paved in blocks or concrete slab for the drive and garage apron

I wish to erect a lean to on the side of the garage which make up around 10% or so further building coverage, but will be built on the existing slab.

Hence as I see it all if above board, other than the covenent that went with the origanal house sale, which has already been breached by the garage, which where there before my time.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back