The 30m rule - garage then adjacent carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intending to build a very old-fashioned garage with wonky old beams to go with my wonky old (C17) house. Would like BC to be not involved, so it will be less than 30m2. Detached, more than 1m from boundary.

If I subsequently build a lean-to carport alongside by adding a catslide to the garage roof, thus taking the whole thing over 30m2, will BC get involved?

I would have the whole floor slab cast at the same time.

Ivor

Sponsored Links
As I see it, you should be okay

Carports open at least two sides attached or detached from the main building, with an internal floor area not exceeding 30 m2 that does not effect disabled access and contains no electrical supply are wholly exempt from Building Regulation approval.

The only issue will be if you require electrics for garage or port, then it will be impossible not to have building controls involved one way or another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back