Tiled over manhole cover and now selling house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an extension built 5 years back which meant the inspection chamber was now in the downstairs WC.
I didn't really think much of it at the time but I realised some weeks after the inspection cover has been tiled over. One of those things I always meant to query and never got round to.
Now I am looking to sell my house and am worried that this is going to be picked up somewhere along the line.
Any/all thoughts welcome. Obviously the chamber is a nice 45 degree to the tiling so no real easy way to lift a couple of tiles to correct this.

Sponsored Links
If someone really wants to buy the house then they will.

You just need to be honest with the new owners and tell them there is an inspection chamber beneath the tiles.

I'd be surprised if a simple home buyers survey picks it up.

Aye, reminiscent of some of those threads we've had on here before when some unfortunate new homeowner discovers the previous Muppet who owned the house before them went and built/covered over an inspection chamber! Nice! Yea let them foot the bill for your ineptitude.

Extension just 5 years ago, assume then that this is a chamber that possibly would of been the chamber were you house connected to the main ?? maybe not, but were was your building control officer!! surely he would of been aware of the chamber and the pipework assocciated to it at inspection of extension foundation stage.

If its a chamber for your property and there is still jetting accees cctv access form another chamber then i would be tempted to forget all about it, a covered chamber to some extent is just an anomily on a section of pipework and should carry and allow the flow of effluent or water within the chamber channel for evermore.

Sponsored Links
If its a chamber for your property and there is still jetting accees cctv access form another chamber then i would be tempted to forget all about it, a covered chamber to some extent is just an anomily on a section of pipework and should carry and allow the flow of effluent or water within the chamber channel for evermore.

Except that chambers are there for a reason - to allow access to bends and connections... spots that are most likely to cause issues.

A homeowners survey will likely not pick it up - unless there are no other manholes around which may raise the surveyors suspicions that one is concealed by the extension.

You could stay quiet and hope for the best, or you could be honest and let them know that there is a chamber beneath the WC tiles. Expect the buyer to ask for a reduction - which would only be fair considering that in order to make good they would be footing the bill rather than you. More likely this will end up being covered by indemnity.

I would like to know what happened to your buildign control officer though... how was he happy to issue a final certificate for it? if you have not had a final certificate then you will have bigger worries than just the manhole.

To clarify...

I was always going to let the buyers know about this. Some would argue buyer beware (for example manholes are something I always look for when viewing property) but I would feel happier knowing this has been raised. It wouldnt be a big job to lift a few tiles and correct so am sure a negotiation wouldnt be too difficult. My question was more directed to will this cause any issues with solicitors searches etc.

As for the building control officer, I have no idea is my honest answer. It has certainly been signed off and like I said its only come back to the forefront of my mind now I am in process of trying to sell.

I am not in the building sector by trade and so never really queried why Building Regs have not picked up.

I don't think b.c. will have any remit.

So long as the i.c. exists and that it has been sealed with the correct lid then it is similar in principle to laying a carpet, wood flooring or in this case tiles over the floor.

There only crime is not cutting the tiles into the shape of the lid.

The solicitors will only look for the final certificate. As you have that you could argue that a reduction is not even warranted - after all everything was signed off as in accordance with the regulations.

You could keep quiet but leave a drawing of the floor somewhere showing the chamber on it with measurements, measure other stuff etc and just leave it for info. ;)

I doubt any surveyor would pick this up. Lack of an IC is not in itself a reason to suspect that there should be one, or to put a surveyor on notice to go around checking drain layouts.

In any case, if the buyer has a proper survey, or a homebuyer report, a separate drain survey would normally be recommended, but not usually done unless other drains issues are noted. And it is "buyer beware"

I don't think that its anything to do with "honesty" either. No one would invite remove of panels to check hidden soil stack connections, so it really is not something that the seller needs to declare.

If asked specifically, then yes it must be mentioned, but volunteering information? I would not

As mattylad says, leave a note when you go in a "Oh, by the way" context

I don't think that its anything to do with "honesty" either. No one would invite remove of panels to check hidden soil stack connections, so it really is not something that the seller needs to declare.

Poxy analogy.
There is a reason these are also called 'access' chambers... :rolleyes:

Ok mebbe not honesty but i would be very uncomfortable about not letting the potential owners about the fact that they have access to a drain junction should they need it.
Too many selfish people in the world already.
Ho hum.

As stated before the new owners will absolutely know there is an IC under the tiles. I wouldnt be happy not letting on to them.

My main concern was whether it was a legal issue that homes should have an accessible IC and whether it would cause problems with the actual sale.

As some have said though I do have Building Reg sign off so I guess that covers it.

Thanks all for your replys. I stumbled across this website via Google yesterday and havent left it since. An absolute wealth of information. Thanks you all for contributing

You could keep quiet but leave a drawing of the floor somewhere showing the chamber on it with measurements, measure other stuff etc and just leave it for info. ;)
Good idea Mattylad - or _ Put a toilet mat in front of the pan , and underneath the mat write Manhole Here :mrgreen:

Put a toilet mat in front of the pan , and underneath the mat write Manhole Here :mrgreen:
Nice.

One of the reasons why im somewhat glad the previous owner of my house still gets a lot of mail sent to his old address, every few months I take it round and ask the next 'so where is....' question to unearth the details of the latest mess I have found.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back