Two conservatories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We also know that in order to be exempt from BR, a conservatory must not exceed 30 m2 in floor area.

At the same time, permitted development allows an extension to extend up to 4 metres behind a detached house.

I wonder what the BR position would be if a full-width 4m conservatory, within PD, were built as two separate conservatories, one after the other, each within 30 m2, but collectively bigger? Would both escape BR, or would BC blow a gasket?

I also notice that section c25 of this letter:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/1728453.pdf

seems to confirm that, contrary to the guidance still put out by some LABC, "the definition of conservatory in terms of percentage translucent material as set out in previous editions of the Approved Documents no longer applies."

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Ignore everything else apart from the following: definition has been done to death in this thread: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278544&start=0

Where you'll find the relevant part from that thread being:

It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with 3.15 it must comply with 4.8, there is no limit on how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Whilst it must comply with the regulations stipulated within 4.8 building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with the above it is not exempt from Building Regulations Approval and to become a lawful development Building Regulations Approval from the LA or an Approved Inspector is required.

With respect to building 2 separate conservatory's each less than 30m2 each, provided they are not joined by a party wall that you then intend to remove (to make one big conservatory) then they won't be notifiable. But, you can't knock the wall down after they're both been built (if that's your gameplan). Well legally you can't.

Ignore everything else apart from the following: definition has been done to death in this thread: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278544&start=0

Where you'll find the relevant part from that thread being:

It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with 3.15 it must comply with 4.8, there is no limit on how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Whilst it must comply with the regulations stipulated within 4.8 building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with the above it is not exempt from Building Regulations Approval and to become a lawful development Building Regulations Approval from the LA or an Approved Inspector is required.

With respect to building 2 separate conservatory's each less than 30m2 each, provided they are not joined by a party wall that you then intend to remove (to make one big conservatory) then they won't be notifiable. But, you can't knock the wall down after they're both been built (if that's your gameplan). Well legally you can't.

Thanks for that. I did follow the previous threads about conservatory glazing. I thought it worth throwing in the actual letter sent to LAs, in case it was useful to anyone dealing with one of the many LAs (like mine) that still put out incorrect advice to the contrary.

I don't think I'd actually want two conservatories, it might look a bit odd. It's an interesting fallback tactic perhaps.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I do wonder how a conservatory is now meant to be defined, for BR purposes. Was it really the intention, that any single storey extension under 30 m2, that was separated from the main house by external doors, and had independent heating, would be exempt from BR? That sounds too easy.

However, a quick search of the internet for "solid roof conservatory" reveals quite a lot of structures being sold as such, that only differ visually from any other extension in having large windows.

Cheers
Richard

I do wonder how a conservatory is now meant to be defined, for BR purposes.
You have all the answers.

All right, I'll ask you for your personal opinion then. Is absolutely any thermally-separated single storey extension less than 30 m2, and with independent heating, exempt from BR, regardless of any other factors? Yes or no.

Cheers
Richard

Its not notifiable (ie you don't need to get it inspected and signed off by Building Control) but it must still comply with the relevant Building regs.

Its not notifiable (ie you don't need to get it inspected and signed off by Building Control) but it must still comply with the relevant Building regs.

Thank you. Do you mean comply in terms of structure, and so forth? The same foundations as any other extension?

Cheers
Richard

Yes, structure, glazing (ie toughened where appropriate etc), electrics, as well as the parts of Part L previously mentioned.

Yes, structure, glazing (ie toughened where appropriate etc), electrics, as well as the parts of Part L previously mentioned.

It invites the question of how BC would know if it didn't comply, assuming it didn't fall down or catch fire. I still find this a strange state of affairs.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back