Waltham Forest Building Notice Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted some info or help if anyone can provide it.

I have just had some architects plans and structural drawings/calculations drawn up for an extension that is close to a manhole/sewer pipe. I am going to submit a request for a Build-Over agreement from Thames Water for the extension but need to know if this can then go ahead on a Building-Notice or if I still have to put a full planning application in to the council. I have spoke to the council and they just baffle me with their waffle. The Architect thinks it can go ahead on a building notice once approval has been saught but I need to make sure before coffing up another £343 for Thames Water.

Does anyone know if this can be done on a Building Notice if Thames water approve the build-over plans (Pad & Beam foundations).

Any clarification/help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can't use a building notice when building over or within 3m of a public sewer - it does not matter whether you get the WA permission first or not

Either way you will still have to pay Thames their fee

Edit:

May not be correct, see post below

Thanks for the response.

The reason I am confused is because on the guidance notes from Waltham forest, u need a full plan application for a build over but the guidance notes for a building notice says u can't do an extension on a building notice without a build over agreement from Thames water in place first.

This says to me that u can do an extension on a building notice providing I get the build over agreement first.

I just wanted other opinions just in case ive totally misinterpreted it. Lol

Thanks.

I've had a look in more detail, and I can't see anything within the b/regs to say that a notice can't be used for work over/near to sewers

The Building Act gave the LA's powers to require specific details of the proposed construction and how it will protect sewers - this seems to be interpreted as the need for detailed plans. The specific clause though (section 18 ) seems to have been repealed, so I don't know what has replaced it

If you provide the acceptance letter from the water company and associated details, then it would seem to satisfy the Building Act in any case. So you could probably submit a Notice with your WA approval and the details of how you will protect the sewer

Sponsored Links
I have a regs submission with an extension within 3m that I'm about to submit, BC have told me verbally that they will deal with it and no need to get a build over. That said it is not that close about 2.3m but we shall see .....

Here's a question for you; how do the Water Authorities know where all the 'shared'drains are that they now control and how do they police conservatory companies which may build within or near 3m of a shared drain?

it sounds like you have got most things in place for a full plans building regulation application. This is required when building near to sewers. BN's should not be used. The council may not be that busy at the moment and it could be checked and passed in no time and then you can work to those plans knowing that if you do everything described on them then you can't go wrong! much better for peace of mind!

paul f they don't know where all the shared drains are. it is expected that you contact them if you know your building over or near one of these "new" public sewers. I there is a problem with the drain though and you use them to come fix it because it is there responsibility now and they find they can't due to a building in the way they did not agree to... then you may get policed!

I was posing a theoretical question actually, I'm not doing any work.

I was posing that question based on exempt structures not being police by BC, so who is policing the cons. Companies. They won't care as the customers inherit the problems later on!

There is no policing of the conservatory firms Whilst the liability falls to the homeowner, there is still comeback on the installer if they did work without any required build over agreement

But it's just the same with other building work - reroofing, replacement windows, garages and outbuildings etc

Well heres an update,

We got the agreement from Thames Water for the build-over agreement.

I now plan to go to Waltham Forest town hall tomorrow and drop it all on the counter hoping for a building notice to start the work

Fingers crossed lol

Just a quick update,

Thames water agreed the buildover, Waltham Forest agreed to me building on a building notice and the builder starts wednesday :D

The fees were a bit painful though

Plans - £500
Structural calculations - £200
Buildover Agreement - £343
Building Notice - £562

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What's the point of getting plans drawn up/calcs done and then not getting Pre-site approval on them? :confused:

I had a lengthy chat with one of the lovely chaps at building control, went over all the plans and calcs etc, he was totally happy with everything. I have the builders digging the foundations on Wednesday then once they are at the required depth a friendly inspector will be making his way down to have a gander at everything.

The reason the plans and calcs were drawn up is because its a pad and beam base and the calcs had to be done to get the right steels and make the correct pads etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back