What permission do I need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all
I live in my 1903 house and the fireplace from the breakfast room was removed from the above back bedroom.
The fireplace in the back bedroom is half supported by a cupboard and half supported using floor joists.
I had a structural engineer over and he said I would need some plans drawn up and an RSJ under half of the chimney breast to support it so remaining brick cupboard can be removed from the kitchen.
Also we were going to put an RSJ at the end of the house to the outbuilding can be used to extend the kitchen and bring the outside loo indoors.

When I spoke to the engineer he said the work to fix the chimney breast would not need full building regs application but an application to repair / make good works that had been carried out years ago.
What form am I looking for for this?
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
When I spoke to the engineer he said the work to fix the chimney breast would not need full building regs application but an application to repair / make good works that had been carried out years ago.
What form am I looking for for this?
Thanks all

Regularisation application to your LABC. Similar to a Building Notice but slightly more expensive.

Hi there
Thanks so much I think that was it.
Now I need to get my plans drawn up and submit the application to make everything right and safe
Thanks again

Hi there
I have just spoken to my local BC and they told me that if the work was completed before 1985 then they cannot do this.
I Am asking the previous owners daughter this evening if she can remember the year.
So hypathetically speaking if it was before this (which is quite possible as the previous owner had the house since 1903) what do i do next

SE to design the plans for me to give to a reputable builder to install the RSJ.

Who has the insurance on all of this?

WOuld it be easier/cheaper to justt to remove the stack up to the loft?

Sponsored Links
Hi there
Little update
I spoke to the previous owner and this work was all done in the 70's so building regs cert is not applicable
So now I need a SE to design some plans to support the chimney stack and install the RSJ.
Can a gallows bracket not be installed between the ground and first floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back