Who to use. Architect, draftsman, structural eng or builder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a draftsman draw up basic plans for submission to council for planning permission, which we have obtained, for a 5m x 5m extension with vaulted roof with inset glass panels to the roof, and a glass apex above sliding doors.

Could you advise me who I should use to create detailed plans showing things like how the glass roof panels will fit into the oak beams being used for the roof, and the measurements and fitting system for the glass apex.

Should I be asking the draftsman to provide these, or would this be more in the remit of a structural engineer.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your draftsman, if he is up to it, is he an architectural technician? Often an architectural technician will employ a structural engineer to calculate beam sizes etc, generally structural engineers wont do anything other than structural stuff.

You explain to the draftsman what you want, he draws what he wants who then passes it to the structural engineer who builds what she wants.

Sponsored Links
If you can find a builder who will do it, and who will do it right, thats the best option.
Charley

A draughtsman is exactly that, he simply draws.

An Architect Technician is exactly that, an Architectural Technician, they will specify how something goes together and as mentioned, then pass on to a SE to specify beam sizes and what-not.

I know as I am an Architect Technician and this is my profession.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back