Why oh why do extension foundations have to be so deep?

Using lime isn't a reason to have less deep foundations. It just might be the reason why a house with little or no foundation isn't showing any significant signs of movement. In another situation the movement might be more significant and would then show up even with lime joints.

Sponsored Links
We might as well revert back to (hand) digging a lime slaking pit, have it all delivered by horse and cart, hand ball it off with shovels and mix it by hand.

Luddites, don't you just love 'em. :rolleyes:
I prefer the term "traditionalist" myself - you really have to do what is appropriate for the building concerned.

Sadly, I have found a huge proportion of contractors have absolutely no empathy with old buildings, with no understanding of why they need to be treated differently; turn your back and out comes the grab adhesive, PVA or cement! :mad:

Sadly also, most owners of old buildings buy something Victorian or earlier only to install a DPC and cover the entire thing with cement & gypsum inside and out, not to mention uPVC doors and windows. :rolleyes: Watch any current TV property programme for examples!

I prefer the term "traditionalist" myself - you really have to do what is appropriate for the building concerned.
Whilst it is very noble of you to embrace old building methods when renovating period properties, not everyone shares your enthusiasm, particularly when folks' purse strings are rooted in the Great Depression of 2011.

What some of these twisted, bent and bulging buildings 'need' is a big dose of the 21 century or a bulldozer.

However, what i will say is that the sealed boxes we are building now do seem to encourage an unhealthy environment as far as internal moisture levels are concerned.

People seem frightened to open a window.

Sponsored Links
What some of these twisted, bent and bulging buildings 'need' is a big dose of the 21 century or a bulldozer.
A dose of the 21st Century on an old building is not good, in my view, as mixing old and new just doesn't really work. However, despite my enthusiasm for old buildings, I would certainly agree that far too many are listed and actually would benefit from a bulldozer, as you say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back