will i have to knock it down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a garage at the rear of my property that has had an extension built on it. The garage itself is a standard brick built garage, the extension whilst sharing the same roof as the garage is a woodframe structure, it measures approx. 10m x 7m and has a concrete floor and is used as my workshop. My question is, I want to re-build the structure in brick, as i have no evidence of planning permission, if i apply, and am refused, will they make me knock the existing structure down?

All advice will be welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its not in eye shot of the main road, the neighbours are good as gold.
My problem is we may be selling once the work is carried out and prospective buyers will ask about planning.

If it's been there long enough they can't make you knock it down afaik (search for 4 and 10 year rule).

Sponsored Links
Once you take something down completely you are no longer repairing but replacing and thus would need permission. They can't touch the existing structure provide 4 years has passed. If you are selling why bother replacing it?

Thanks
I think it will add a bit of value if i rebuild it, as it is rather tatty at the mo.
Also think it will entice a quicker sale, if we decide to sell. Either way it will be worth doing if there was permission, but wont risk my workshop to do it. but i will apply if they cant touch what ive already got.

Oh OK, so you plan to only rebuild if you get PP for the replacement? Then no they can't knock down the exiting if older than 4 years.

Does what you want to do actually need planning permission, or could it be permitted development?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back