Window to Juliet Balcony in 2nd floor FLAT - ADVICE PLEASE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently reside in a 2 bedroom apartment in the city centre which I bought about a year ago. I am unsure if the building is listed, I have tried searching for it on the list provided on the council's website but to no avail.

My apartment unit is situated on the 2nd floor off a 10 storey building. We have 2 no. floor to ceiling windows in the living room, and one normal window in the main bedroom, all of these windows are not accessible. There are no accessible windows or openings on the wall at all for the other rooms in the apartment (1 ensuite shower, 1 kitchen, 1 double bedroom and 1 bathroom).

Ventilation is provided via eletronic ventilation system, without any control i.e. I wouldnt be able to control how much air going in and out etc.

The ventilation system is working fine over the winter, however in the summer time the apartment is really stuffy as the air supplied from the ventilation system is not sufficient. I currently leave alone and it is bad enough. Soon I will be joined by my wife and my newborn child and I do feel it will be a struggle.

I therefore would like to change one of the floor to ceiling window in the living room, into a Juliet Balcony to encourage air passage during summer or anytime when the apartment gets stuffy.

However, seeing as this is my first property and I have never done anything like this before, I am unsure of what are the procedures I should take.

Please could anyone advice me on this matter? I would be utterly grateful.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Purpose built flats or conversion? Age? Conservation Area? Anyone else got juliette balcony's? Your local planning department will be able to tell you if it is listed or not. If it is listed it will be on your LA's website somewhere but these things can be difficult to find.

What do you mean by:
We have 2 no. floor to ceiling windows in the living room, and one normal window in the main bedroom, all of these windows are not accessible.
Instinct would suggest chances of getting Planning Permission unlikely unless other apartments have juliette's.

Are there any 10 storey listed buildings converted to flats about ?

First you would need to seek permission from the building owner or managing agent

Then you need to check planning constraints ..... you would not normally need planning permission for the window conversion, but would for a balcony projection. But most likely not if you just have a railing or suchlike across the opening

You will then need building regulation approval to actually carry out the work

freddy & woody,

many thanks for the responses.

freddy - its a conversion. i know this sound silly, but i am unsure how old the building is! I would need to go through the contracts in detail and find out further.

what i meant by the comment you highlighted is, we havent got any windows in the apartment that we can open up to let the air in or out. all the windows are fixed and unaccessible.

apartment units that are situated above and below mine have the same layout and they too have windows that are not accessible. however, the apartment units located next to mine and across mine have got windows that could be open.

I havent notice any apartment units with juliette balconies, but again, they havent got a floor to ceiling windows. only the apartment units above and below mine has got these sort of windows.

Woody - Not sure what the answer to your question would be mate, but many thanks for taking the time to response.

I will look into it and run it with the council to see what is required.

I have attached pictures, just in case it would help!

View media item 38144 View media item 38145

Sponsored Links
Are there any 10 storey listed buildings converted to flats about ?

First you would need to seek permission from the building owner or managing agent

Then you need to check planning constraints ..... you would not normally need planning permission for the window conversion, but would for a balcony projection. But most likely not if you just have a railing or suchlike across the opening

You will then need building regulation approval to actually carry out the work

Round here, some such balconies in "reverse". French doors open outwards (into thin air !) and railings on the inside.
Presumably this is some type of planning loophole.
Simon.

OP; as a matter of interest, is your flat adjacent to the car park off Tib Street? That building seen through your window looks like Sacha's Hotel, just down from Debs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back