Aco hexdrain patio install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Would appreciate some advice on the planning of this project.
House is about 20 years old and has a conservatory that's about 15 years old. The conservatory is square and about 4m across and is constructed with about 7 courses of bricks with UPVC/roof on top. The conservatory is surrounded by a patio varying in width from 1.5 to 2.5 metres. The patio is bordered by a brick retaining wall that leads to the lawn.
The the patio has only a single drain approx 15cm diameter that I guess should be going into a soak away. The drain is completely ineffective for two reasons:
1. Having excavated the drain to investigate it terminates almost immediately below the patio in the sticky clay soil-no soak away. Pouring a couple of litres of water in saturates it.
2. The patio is essentially flat and water just collects in random large puddles.

I'd like to add some decent drainage. I'm thinking about using the Aco Hex drain system. Lift the patio and relay it, maintaining a the existing 2 course of brick gap between the patio and DPC, with some slope so the water drains into the Hex Drain. If this seems like a reasonable plan, would the slope be best engineered to have water run away from the conservatory towards the wall and into the Hex Drain that would be installed immediately next to the retaining wall rather than the other direction?
Thanks for your consideration:)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I thought having it run towards the retaining wall would be preferable but always good to ask first.

Sponsored Links
always fall away from the building unless its not possible for some reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back