Advice for house renovation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we're purchasing a 1970's built home that requires a bit of updating. This is the current layout:

Our first major job will be updating the bathroom. We plan to move the wall to the left to incorporate the a/c & wardrobe. The immersion boiler (currently in the garage) is going to be replaced with a combi and put into the loft with the tank in the a/c being removed. I'm unsure as to whether the wall is supporting yet - but will get it checked out when we move in.

Our second major job will be stealing some, if not all of the garage to make a kitchen diner. The kitchen has already been increased in size by the current owners, and has a RSJ from the kitchen door to the right hand wall. The current dining room will be utilised as a study/kids room.

What are your thoughts? Can you foresee any problems ? Would you do it differently?

thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
I would not use a combi if you have children. If someone is having a shower and someone else turns on a hot tap else where the shower can drop in temperature. The person in the shower may then turn the temperature up and then when the other tap is turned off the shower becomes too hot.

A combi the loft can be a pain to service, requires safe boarded access for the engineer. Being the highest part of the system air locks can be a serious problem. Long condensation drain has to be inside the building. If fitted externally it will freeze in winter and shut the boiler down. ( source is a nieghbour who had his combi moved out of the loft for those reasons )

I'm unsure as to whether the wall is supporting yet - but will get it checked out when we move in.
It looks as though it runs the full height of the building, so it probably is.

Our second major job will be stealing some, if not all of the garage to make a kitchen diner.
Check with the council that you'd be allowed to do that - sometimes they won't let you because it exacerbates the problem of street parking. Plus people like garages - you may reduce the value of your house.

Would you do it differently?
That would depend on how much money I had available for an extension or two.

thanks for the replies.

There are only two of us so I can't see the temperature fluctuations being too much of a problem. A few of my friends are plumbers and they've got their boilers in their lofts - I'd never heard of this until about a week ago when I mentioned I would be moving. One of them recommended a 'worscester bosch' combi boiler and a mega flow although I thought this might be overkill with only one bathroom ?

We don't plan on any extensions, we just want to make the current layout work for us. With regards to the garage, we viewed several houses and the garage was only ever used for storage. We plan on getting a decent sized shed for this. I know its subjective, but what would you prefer: a kitchen diner or a garage ? bearing in mind that there isn't a dining room as such in the current layout. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the plans I think you'll end up with a rather small kitchen / diner as the garage is so narrow. I don't think it was actually work very well.

Personally I would prefer a garage. The house already has two downstairs reception rooms and that's all most people expect.

A single story extension across the back, in line with the outer wall of the existing study/diner and then make all the rooms open plan would be relatively low cost and add a lot of value if the space outside allows it,

Also put the combi in the kitchen or garage. You can get compact ones that will fit within a kitchen cupboard.

We don't plan on any extensions, we just want to make the current layout work for us. With regards to the garage, we viewed several houses and the garage was only ever used for storage. We plan on getting a decent sized shed for this. I know its subjective, but what would you prefer: a kitchen diner or a garage ? bearing in mind that there isn't a dining room as such in the current layout. Thanks.

If I didn't need the garage for storage, I'd convert it to a dining room, open to the kitchen. I'd also put a door into it from the hall, for ease of circulation. Some room dimensions would make it easier to visualise whether this would work.

I think this would just be a matter of building regulations - I don't think you need planning permission to convert an attached garage (can't be bothered to go Googling so someone tell me if I'm wrong).

Cheers
Richard

can't be bothered to go Googling so someone tell me if I'm wrong
You're wrong.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/garageconversion/

"Planning permission is not usually required, providing the work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building.

Sometimes permitted development rights have been removed from some properties with regard to garage conversions and therefore you should contact your local planning authority before proceeding, particularly if you live on a new housing development or in a conservation area."

So I'm not entirely wrong ;)

Cheers
Richard

I have a Worcester combi servicing 1 bathroom, kitchen and heating in a three bed bungalow. I chose to have the boiler in the kitchen. It does take a bit of wall space, and requires clearance for access, but I like the convenience. I get to see the pressure, and access the controls easily. I wouldn't want to have to climb into my loft. It's your choice of course.

I use my garage for tool storage, and as a workshop, when hanging doors, restoring furniture etc, so it is an asset. I suspect a garage adds value to the house, so maybe don't convert it unless the benefit is worth it to you.

Looking at the plans I think you'll end up with a rather small kitchen / diner as the garage is so narrow. I don't think it was actually work very well.

Personally I would prefer a garage. The house already has two downstairs reception rooms and that's all most people expect.

A single story extension across the back, in line with the outer wall of the existing study/diner and then make all the rooms open plan would be relatively low cost and add a lot of value if the space outside allows it,

thanks Kingandy - just moved in (took ages to complete) and have decided that you're right. Will have to save up for quite a while, but an extension in line with the existing one looks like the way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back