Alternative to concrete for garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a new garage & have a problem in that I can't get a concrete wagon down the long narrow lane to my house. The floor area is roughly 5.5m x 4.4m so I would need around 4m3 of concrete, which would be impossible to mix myself. I know its possible to use a dumper to transport the concrete but does anyone know a different method of flooring, which would get around this problem?

Sponsored Links
Precast hollow planks
Beam and block floor

Still may have issues getting any materials to the site if access is that bad..
Consider concrete pump?

Be it pre-cast or wet, you really need to use concrete. As pointed out already you have to shift 'x' weight of material down the lane one way or another, so it might as well be from a concrete mixer.

The pumps are great, and not 'that' expensive to hire.

Or, seeing as you need to get the scalps and blocks down there you perhaps should just hire a small dumper as you say, and make the whole job easier.

Tom

Thanks for the fast response. I guess beam & block still needs a screed and the hollow concrete planks are incredibly heavy to manoeuvre without a crane? A concrete pump is a possibility if its dry enough/no crops/ground stable enough get a wagon down the field behind my place, otherwise its too far to pump (1/3 mile).

Sponsored Links
How small is this lane then?

Two of us carried approx 3.4m concrete beams without too much grief a while back.

You need roughly 2.7m width for the small mixer lorries IIRC.

Tom

2.4m absolute max. Got a 7.5 tonner down it halfway once, then spent the whole afternoon trying to get it back again.

I see.

Personally then, I'd hire a dumper for approx £100-£150 and have it there all week. Though it might take you 2 or 3 tips to get your slab done...

Tom

What I did was strip foundation/ blockwork substructure and poured the slab . All was batched in a 240v half bag mixer but done in stages including the foundations. You just have to allow for rebar between pours. 7m x 3m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back