alternative to skip hire ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, skips are expensive, specially for the building materials/bricks waste ..

I have heard there is alternative service where a collection lorry comes and take everything away but at a cheaper rate. just not sure what is it called or where to find them.

Any idea ? thanks

Sponsored Links
Local grab hire companies do take more weight for your money, however there are downsides.

Grab lorries don't usually take 'general' waste. You either prepare a pile of spoil i.e. soil and rubble or you prepare a pile of green waste etc.

You also need the space and a platform for the waste. It could be sitting there for a while so you may need a fairly large pad. Bear in mind also that the lorry has a long but not infinite reach and they can only grab from the passenger side.

We use both skips and grabs. Grabs early on for the spoil and then a permanent skip for all the general waste like the mountains of packaging these days!

A large proportion of the cost of waste disposal is the 'Landfill tax', currently at £72 per tonne on all non inert (active) waste. Inert waste, (i.e. soils, bricks, anything that wont decompose) stands at £2.50 per tonne. (Then add on the landfill operators fees, and then VAT on the whole lot, and it gets silly!) Therefore if you fill a skip up with a mixture of soil, concrete, and other materials, the whole bin has to be weighed and and charged at the higher rate, hence the high prices.

If you can at all sort your waste, e.g. keep soils/hardcore separate then speak to the disposal operator and try to negotiate a discount. Soils and hardcore are not only cheaper to dispose of, but the majority can be recycled anyway, avoiding disposal costs altogether. 'Mixed' loads have to be sorted, usually part mechanically/part manually, an expensive operation!

Sponsored Links
Find a skip company that will do rubble only skips. We've just had 7 or 8 on a site for £95 each, which is a significant saving

Jeds is spot on here, Rubble skips and soil skips can come in around £95 and £120 respectively, much cheaper than a general £250 skip.

Jeds is spot on here, Rubble skips and soil skips can come in around £95 and £120 respectively, much cheaper than a general £250 skip.

You pay how much ?
150 quid in midlands for general 8 yard skip with a door on it.
Put anything in it (not plasterboard of course :LOL: ) and pile it up high.

110 North east n thats on a public road.. anything but asbestos and mattresses lol

Interesting subject. My mini digger guy is digging up 20m sq of my front garden this week (mixture of both soil and concrete but mainly soil) before putting down Type 1 MOT and block paving. Same lorry delivers the Type 1 and then uses the grab to collect the soil and concrete. he said I will pay £300 max, but not sure if it will be weighed and less than that cost. Is that expensive or ok?

I'd be happy with that, probably equivalent cost of 2 skips, will take as much if not more, and no wheelbarrowing necessary! There is the cost of running the lorry, then once removed, the load will still need processing, to separate the soil and concrete, then the soil screened and the concrete put through a crusher before anything can be reused or sold.

It all costs time and money..... :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back