Basic bricklaying - keeping brickface clean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Posted the other week about line blocks, in preparation for a very basic task of a building a brick back-step with concrete flag on top.

For a first attempt I was pleased with it, but I found it really tough to keep the faces of the bricks clean. Fortunately they were smooth so it was easy to wipe them clean after, before the mortar had properly set.
But with rough faced bricks I think it would have been a different story. :confused:

I'd like to improve, if anyone could offer any tips on how to neaten my work and keep the faces clean whilst laying, it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Practice with a sand and lime mix on some used bricks - rob a skip.

Your mix should be easy to work but never sloppy. Practice with various small mixes. Squirt a little liquid soap in the water.

Worse comes to worse, then painters tape your arrises ( edges ) - tedious.

Keep your hands and tools clean. Cut the bed compo(mortar) before placing the brick.

Ask permission then watch a brickie.

One thing I find works for me is when you lay your brick on a mortar bed and tap it - then mortar balloons out the side - but don't touch it. Wait a few minuets until the brick has sucked out a lot of the water then simply use your trowel to scoop it off. It soon becomes too dry to smear all over the bricks.

Sponsored Links
Don't lay too much as the bed joint - you want just enough so that when you press the brick down, about 15mm of mortar is squeezed out

Then you need to cleanly cut this off in one motion with the trowel, buy angling it downwards and pressing it firmly against the wall and then moving it forward and upwards.

Keep the trowel clean from all little bits of mortar - especially the back

Don't mess about with the bricks - lay them, press them down (or one or two taps) and then leave them. The more you knock them, the more water is released along the joints

Use fairy liquid or plasticiser to reduce water content in the mortar and prevent the bricks swimming

One thing I find works for me is when you lay your brick on a mortar bed and tap it - then mortar balloons out the side - but don't touch it. Wait a few minuets until the brick has sucked out a lot of the water then simply use your trowel to scoop it off. It soon becomes too dry to smear all over the bricks.

This looks a good trick.
I tried not to put too much on the bed, but when it squeezed out, the stuff fell off and smeared. Probably as much me having a mix too wet and using too much whilst learning!

It was noticeable how you put the stuff on and it's initially wet, then after a few seconds of being squeezed, moisture goes quite quickly and it starts to firm up.

All the advice is great & taken on board for next time. Many thanks.

I've got some old bricks kicking round so will have another couple of goes!

Would the Bricky tool but a good suggestion to try, I have bought one to try later this year?

Possibly. Though from looking at it, it didn't look too complicated, so was thinking I'd try and knock something up with plywood etc first.

When you do get to use it, would be interested to know how you find it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back