Bedroom bay window woes (Photos updated)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I don't mind trying my hand to a bit of DIY but I think I may need professional help here.

In stripping the wall paper off in Master bedroom I've found a few a three troublesome areas and would appreciate advice on any or all please.

The bedroom has a box-shaped bay window, the wall below the window sounds hollow to the tap (plyboard/plasterboard?). When I pealed off the wallpaper around the corner leading into the bay it not only took chunks of plaster from the corner with it but I also discovered a huge verticle crack from skirting up to window sill.

If I nugde the sill the crack will either widen or close. Can this be repaired or am I just saving up woes for another day? If it's advisable to remove the section of wall and replace, if so how big a job is it and what's involved?

Above the side window the previous owners have had expanding foam used to seal what I presume was a leek at some point. From the outside it looks to just be plyboard (which is falling apart).

Whats the best path to getting that remedied - roofer to sort out the roof edging and then builder to replacing the plyboard and make good or is this something a builder can do?

Finally the pelmet has to go as it's not level (and ghastly) and i'd like a firmer footing for fitting a curved corner curtain rail but ther isnt much room for fixings, the bay ceiling has a slight curve to it but a large water damage mark on it and a few cracks through. If I wanted this removed and replaced should a builder be the correct trade to use or is there a trade more specific for this?

I hope the photos help and show enough detail. Thanks for reading this, and any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your pics are useless for me - they are too tiny and cannot be expanded.

Click ban-all-sheds user name and find his instructions for posting.

Sorry Not sure what happened there. Hope they are clearer now?

Simon

Your bay, from the first floor up at least, is timber framed. This is causing differential movement between the different materials of the bay and the masonry walls.

There could even be some slight differential settlement but you would have to post pics from external ground level and in the room below.This is very common in such bays.

Carefully examine the external join of bay and house walls.

I suspect when the PVC bay frames were installed that they disturbed the original detail.

The work to strip and rebuild the roof with suitable verge overhangs - the cill below is receiving splash - is simple enough for a builder or a roofer.

Remove the pelmet and drapes and foam, and post pics. The stain is irrelevant and can be treated after the work.

Movement at the interior corner - perhaps remove the plaster to reveal if the timber framing is loose from its fixing into the brickwork? Is it only one corner with cracks?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll take and post a few more pics once I get home. there is a crack in the opposite corner where the frame meeds the wall but i think this may just be age. I'll take a pic of that as well.

Pics as requested (I hope)

External view:

Internal downstairs:

Internal upstairs:

Hope that helps?

Thanks

Thanks for the pics

On close up of the interior, much of the cracking and discoloring of decorations appears to be the wear and tear of age. Perhaps a liberal use of first generation foams is also to blame.

I can see no obvious signs of the bay pulling away or sagging.

The major cracks are as i mentioned above, and you can rake them out and fill them, or hack out and patch plaster more significant ones.

The timber detailing for the pelmet can be made respectable by any joiner.

The roof should be dealt with as above, paying attention to the lead flashing leading off the main roof to the left of the bay. Perhaps use lead cheeks at the tri-angular sides.

The bressumer beam/lintel in the lounge is level and there are no signs of water stains - after stripping the lounge wallpaper more delapidations will perhaps become clear.

Essentially, you have a little aging house maintenance to take care of.

Thanks, I really appreciate your time and comments.

I will add one or two more photos when I get in tonight as there is a further (small) question regarding finish - under the timber where it meets the window.

The crack on the interior wall just to the right of the corner that widens/contracts when the window cill is nudged - Would a prefered solution be to strip that section back, check if timber frame is still soundly attached to wall, emply/affix new plasterboard pannel and skim?

Regards

Yes, i said as much in the last para of my first post - to be brief, remove plaster patches for about 300mm either side of the corner. Below the cill might be plaster lath or loose brick infill. Then post pics.

This unsightly plaster/filler sits between the UPVC window and the pelmet frame.

I'm going to go with it being a filler cement kind of thing as it is whit and rock hard. I presume once removed I'm best just using a simple silicone sealant? unless of course this is concealing more than just a join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back