Best filler for uneven concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside laundry room which is covered with rather old and brittle plastic flooring which I intend to remove and substitute a good floor paint.
The floor needs patching up here and there before painting (eg, I need to grind a little from the outside step on the inside resulting in the need to level the floor up to it...about 1/2" at the most). What type of filling would be best to use for this, the room has the heating boiler and a washing machine in it. Was thinking of fine concrete mix ? Is there anything more suitable ?

Sponsored Links
1/2" is too lean for a cement type screed.

Even a floor levelling compound with aggregate has the potential to separate.

Why don't you tile it.

Yes, I'd thought abut that, the problem is I need clearance for the outside door which faces a lot of weather. The floor tends to get wet and a floor paint would be easier to maintain. How far down would I need to chip to enable room for screed to "bite" This is only a small area to tackle really and I have a grinder for the job.

I used a self levelling product a couple of months ago in my utility room to cover over some surface damage and also raise the floor level by about 100mm to match the kitchen, I found a concrete leveller from a paint company called Floor Paint Express that did the job well, have since painted over it and looks good as new, it was called Level It from memory, I did think about tiles but preferred a paint finish.

Sponsored Links
Supprised you consider a painted floor more managable than a tilled one. Obviously in a garage or simular paint is repairable, but assuming your not going to load it sufficently to crack the tiles then i would have thought they would last a long time.

However I came here reading around the topic before tackling a simular mess that is my garage floor (which will be painted) so i guess its all much of a muchness.

At work they leval damaged floor areas with a clear epoxy looking stuff before painting (also two part) it breaks up eventually as does all our floor in heavy used area and i dont know the cost but it might work for you. The paint is becker product. http://www.beckerspaints.co.uk/

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back