Brickie Cost - Is it per square meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just been quoted by a bricklayer and he has basically told me that he charges an amount per square meter. His charge is for outer and inner and insulation. I will require approximately 67sq meters.

I'll give you his charge per square meter in further post (if required).

I was wondering if that was the normal way to charge. I'm sure there will be people on here who will tell me that a quote is a quote no matter how they work it out. The end figure is the end figure.

I'd just like to know what the most common way of quoting is. Is there a normal guide to go by. Eg carpet layers will charge per square meter for laying carpet in an empty room.

Adrian

Sponsored Links
The vagaries of building mean that there are a number of ways to construct a wall. Some a lot more time consuming than others.

Cavity walls for instance can be built to a number of insulation designs.

External masonry can feature time consuming brick detailing.

Blockwork may need to be pointed etc.

Your brickie is likely to choose the rate that suits HIM best whether that be a piece-work rate or a day rate.

You as the customer should insist on a certain way of quoting so that all quotes are comparable as well as providing a spec' or a drawing.

Get local bods for comparative quotes.

I've been quoted £53 per square meter for block/insulation/brick.

This means that a room which is 6x6x6.5 including the laying of engineering bricks and above the ceiling (parapet) is going to cost me approximately £3550. I've worked it out be about 67 square metres.

I've been told by the bricklayer that this is for 2 bricklayers and a labourer. I've also been told it will take about one week to complete.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

including the laying of engineering bricks
Does this mean that the brickies will be building off the foundation concrete up to dpc?

Being as they have quoted you for a specific method, which includes insulation, are they giving you a separate rate for non-insulated walls?

Who is constructing the over-site detail?

Who is supplying the scaffolding?

I can't comment on your quote as I have not familiar with that type of pricing. The only way to be sure is to obtain comparative quotes.

Sponsored Links
, the bricklayer will be bricking from the concrete footings up to DPC level and then either take a break for a while whilst I sort out the hardcore/sand blinding etc or just continue up to the top and take a break while the roof is being laid. Then continue with the parapet.

He will be suppling scaffolding etc.

Every wall will be insulated. I'm not sure what you mean about the over-site details.

Every wall will be insulated.
Why are the walls below dpc being insulated? Why is the parapet being insulated?

I'm not sure what you mean about the over-site details.
The 'over-site' is all the work concerning the floor slab i.e. lean mix cavity fill, hard core layer, blinding, membrane, insulation, concrete slab, dpc etc. The over-site is a very busy section of work, in particular if you need to add vents to the existing building etc.

,He will be suppling scaffolding etc
Does that mean you will use his scaffolding to do your roof?

Remember giving you a price for this of £1600 from DPC to 2400 storey height.
Just dug out our figures. Took depth as 6000 and width 6500 = 44.4ms less openings say7.5ms = say 37ms DPC to storey height.
37ms face brickwork = 2220 bricks @ £400.00 per thousand = £888.00 cavity insulation included, providing it is full fill dritherm, and not partial fill. Partial fill is a different ball game and would be an extra over.
37ms 3.5N one handed lift 100mm block work @ £15.00 ms = £555.00. Total £1443 .
Rounded it up to £1600.00 to include brick starters and erecting bandstand scaffold.
£400.00 per thousand face work is equal to £24.00 per ms.
Do not know your depth of footings, but for dense 100mm concrete blocks allow £18.00 ms . For traditional 100mm brick footings allow £300.00 per thousand.. For parapet wall allow £420.00 per thousand and £8.00 lin metre for cap to parapet wall.
You have enough here to pick the bones, however at the end of the day you will have to pay the price that you are quoted, and not the price you think it should be. Also bear in mind that they have three visits, and will not hang their selves up on coat hangers waiting on your call.
Excluding footings and parapet good 2 and 1 gang should be out in 3 days providing they get a wriggle on.
Regards oldun

Sorry for not responding earlier but I've been rather busy.

I haven't even really had a chance to digest the most recent post. Once I have no doubt I'll be asking a few questions!!

37ms face brickwork = 2220 bricks @ £400.00 per thousand = £888.00 cavity insulation included, providing it is full fill dritherm, and not partial fill. Partial fill is a different ball game and would be an extra over.

Hi there

I was going to use LBC Heather bricks which are approximately £350 per pack (each pack containing 390 bricks) and I think I'm going to need about 6 packs. This brings the total of the cost of the outer bricks being about £2100. Am I missing something here? Sorry for sounding stupid.

I was going to use LBC Heather bricks which are approximately £350 per pack (each pack containing 390 bricks) and I think I'm going to need about 6 packs. This brings the total of the cost of the outer bricks being about £2100. Am I missing something here? Sorry for sounding stupid.
Old Codger was giving you a piece-work rate and not a price to buy bricks. He also added that building a cavity wall using one method is more expensive than another. I.e. Partial fill is more expensive than full fill.

its all well an good but there site prices not domestics
domestics isnt much different but at the end of the day we all want to save money.....

having worked on both price day rate an m2 some jobs are better on m2 an some on day rate if the guy feels he is making on m2 then thats his call
most guys will know what they can lay a day an devide that by there day rate an thats there m2 rate ect

now days its just price or day rate dont really bother with m2 as it all gets to much for my brain to deal with

lbc heathers are quite an expensive brick considering a quarter of the pack are usually chipped personally I avoid lbc like the plague lol
ibstock and Carlton do copies of lbc bricks I find the Carlton weather's make a real nice job and there a strong brick.

OP why are you even messing about with the pricing process, just get a price - pricing is not the issue when employing subs, attitude to work and job detail are far more important than saving a few quid here and there.

The majority of domestic work is done on a price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back