Broken Clay Sewer Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys we've broken a section of clay sewer pipe whilst digging out for a driveway.

Its at a private house and is a pipe that comes from the downstairs toilet and leads into the manhole cover.

Cany anyone tell me where I go to source clay pipes please (Its actually a bend with a collar so shouldnt be to difficult to replace) Also its from a house that was built in the 50s so I'm guessing its an old imperial size. Maybe I need a plastic one with some sort of coupler??? Totally lost on this one.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated chaps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use plastic pipe with rubber adaptors onto clay as the inside diameter will be 4" whether it's new plastic or old clay. Any builders merchant/Wickes/Screwfix should sell what you want.

Bed the new pipe on and surrounded by pea shingle.

Thats great thanks. Gives me a starting point. Do I need any compounds etc to seal the joints on the pipes?
No.
You go buy a pair of Fernco salt glaze-plastic connectors and a length of plastic 110mm pipe.
You cut out the broken of pipe with an angle grinder.

You then measure the gap and cut a piece of plastic so that it fits nicely in place. No need for any large fitting gaps. A couple of mill will do.

You may need to round the edges of the clay ends.

You then loosen the jubilee clips on the Ferncos and slip them onto your repair piece of plastic pipe. You place the pipe into position and slide the Ferncos into position using a suitable lube.
Tighten the jubilees and your done. I can now actually repair a pipe with my eyes closed. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
P.S. You can use hepsleeve if you wish, just buy the appropriate fittings.

Oh and you may need to concrete the pipe over seeing as it is a driveway.

Just read the O.P.
If you do repair in plastic just buy the appropriate bends etc.

We often buy a multitude of bends and couplers etc and just keep what we don't use for the next job. You will still likely need a pair of Ferncos though.

OK thanks for that. The repair is basically a 90 degree clay bend that has a collar at each end which all needs to come out.

I will need a 90 degree plastic bend, maybe 2 bits of straight pipe inserted in each end to make up the correct length and then a way to couple the 2 ends to the ends of the clay pipe.

Will the fernco's be better than the straight clay to plastic rubber couplings?

Thanks

I did some drainage yesterday basically a 1940s built house 1 of the drains completely blocked no rodding eyes or visible / accessible manholes in the end I dug down opened up the pipe about 18 inches from the hopper and 14 drain rod lengths later I cleared the blockage and put the pipe back together rodding in place for future.
but my question is this.
does anyone know the life expectancy of the jubilee clips used on the clay to plastic fittings as once they corrode rust and break down surely the joint will fail?

I did some drainage yesterday basically a 1940s built house 1 of the drains completely blocked no rodding eyes or visible / accessible manholes in the end I dug down opened up the pipe about 18 inches from the hopper and 14 drain rod lengths later I cleared the blockage and put the pipe back together rodding in place for future.
but my question is this.
does anyone know the life expectancy of the jubilee clips used on the clay to plastic fittings as once they corrode rust and break down surely the joint will fail?

Same thought occurred to me today when I fetched my bits to do the job. I plan to smother the clips with grease before I cover with soil to help protect them a bit longer. I may even put some additional cable ties around as added protection.

They are made of stainless steel and won't rust. They'll last as long as the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back