Building a 15x40 shed of sorts! Need help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey DIY'ers,

Im fairly new to building from scratch and im trying to build this large 15x40 structure. im familiar with framing walls and the only thing im struggling with is the ceiling joists i believe. My question is with such a large gap between supports(15 feet) will i be able to lap 2 8 foot 2x10's together and use that as my joist or will i need to do something else. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
A 12" overlap is not much to get sufficient nails in to form a reasonably rigid connection, though in practice it would most probably work.

Can you provide additional support to the joists, eg by fixing 4x2 hangers off the ridge (or off the rafters fairly close to the ridge)?

Does this have to comply with any local Code? - if so the Code may prohibit joining the timbers like that.

(this is a UK forum - you might get more informed responses from a DIY forum the other side of the pond).

Hey guy thanks for the quick reponse. I guess getting 16 foot Tiber is the way to go. How much weight do you think I would be able to hold for the ceiling?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back