building a new house on the side of a 30's semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that this question has many possible cost variables, however, just to give me a rough idea. If I have an average 1930's 3 bed round bay semi (28ft thru lounge) on flat ground (clay) in surrey and I have enough land on the side to build another exact copy (pitched roof to be extended across) are we talking more than £100K?

Sponsored Links
I realise that this question has many possible cost variables, however, just to give me a rough idea. If I have an average 1930's 3 bed round bay semi (28ft thru lounge) on flat ground (clay) in surrey and I have enough land on the side to build another exact copy (pitched roof to be extended across) are we talking more than £100K?
My 1930's semi is insured with a rebuild cost of £130000. So might be a bit more than £100000...

DIYedboy,

One way of getting an estimate could be to look at your home building insurance. It will probably have a rebuild value. If you've already got the land and services then I'd have thought as a rough indicator you could use your current insurance rebuild value for building a similar house on the same land.

Insurance rebuilding figures are not indicative of new build costs.

Anyway, what do you mean by an exact copy of your semi? Your half or both halves ... ie an exact copy?

Sponsored Links
So you would turn your semi into a mid-terrace?

Would be interesting to see what planning has to say, normally an extension has to be sub-serviant but I'm not sure what a seperate dwelling would count as. The sub-serviant nature is why there are lots of daft looking set back extensions (sometimes on the end of terraces) that just don't look right and would have been more natural at the same size as the original. There's one I've seen go up near me, a semi cottage where there's no reason why originally it couldn't have been a terrace and have looked just as nice, instead they have been forced to set back and shrink, now it looks like a cottage with a poor extension bolted on and would never have been built that way originally.

We typically build houses like this for £65k to £75k plus fees. And we are just about to complete a 100sqm 5 bed stone faced house for less than £120k.

We typically build houses like this for £65k to £75k plus fees. And we are just about to complete a 100sqm 5 bed stone faced house for less than £120k.
How does it come in so cheap? Our house is around 90sqm, so are the 3 bed semis you are talking about a lot smaller than this?
A friend has just had some quotes on a 60sqm extension (in Ashford, Kent). Came in at between £90k and £190k.

How big are the houses you are talking about for 65-75k?

Typical 1930s style and sizes. I think part of the difference is extensions are retail whereas building a house comes in more commercial. I recently managed a shell build of a 3 bed house. The bricklayer put in the foundations, walls, windows and external doors, internal floors (including boarding) and roof to tiled finish for £40k including materials. The bricklayer is happy because it's quick work - in and out, get paid. It took him about 5 weeks. The client fitted out himself but I don't imagine he would have spent more than about £20 to £25k.

Thanks for your responses lads, I have found a 30's semi with just enough land on the side to build another house. I'm thinking of buying the semi and then having builders add one new home on the side of mine thereby changing mine to a mid terrace of 3, but hey ho I've got another house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back