Cavity closers

Sponsored Links
How do you fix into this:

trd-1-600.jpg

?

So is it always wrong to close a cavity with brick?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its OK if its done neatly and BC are OK with it. But it seldom is. BC haven't accepted that method down this way for a about 15 years. NHBC haven't either. Damcors went out with the ARK!

Its OK if its done neatly and BC are OK with it. But it seldom is. BC haven't accepted that method down this way for a about 15 years. NHBC haven't either. Damcors went out with the ARK!

Thanks Fred.

What is the potential issue with brick closers? ie why don't bc tend to like them?

What is the potential issue with brick closers? ie why don't bc tend to like them?
The potential is for poor workmanship, you have to cut slithers of block to build up the closer, that's fine if your bricky is meticulous or you're a keen DIYer but all too often brick's will just throw up a wall rather than take proper care. Hence BC in this neck of the woods (were often quite exposed to coastal winds etc) insist on proper closers, generally speaking. NHBC have gone the same route.

And damcors can just fall out or the flap can easily be left turned back on itself when it should protrude outwards when the fitters fit the windows.

Thanks Freddy. Is the closure in the pic rubbish then? If it is could you please tell me what problems it could cause? I'll need to know what the issue is to get the builder to put it right otherwise he'll insist he has done it like that for twenty years without any problems :LOL:

What you have there indus, is a monumental cold bridge! So not only can damp get to the inside masonry but the inside masonry will be very cold too, condensation is abound I'm afraid. Terrible!

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Thanks Freddy.

Could you kindly tell me how it should be appropriately rectified?

Thanks Freddy.

So the basic principle is that the outer wall must not make contact with the inner wall unless it is with an insulating material?

Therefore I understand how that could cause a cold inner wall and therefore condensation. You mentioned that moisture could also get through. Does the cavity closerin the pic have a way of preventing this moisture from getting through.

Really grateful for this timely advice, my bi folds arrive soon!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back