Cavity trays over lintels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was under the impression that standard practice is to install a preformed cavity tray over the top of cavity lintels to ensure any moisture in the cavity is directed to the outer leaf rather than either accumulating on the lintel or getting trapped behind it. But having just called around all my local builders suppliers it seems none of them actually stock them, which leaves me wondering how common the practice actually is? Surely, if this were as commonplace as I had been lead to believe, everyone would stock them, right?

Sponsored Links
No one uses reformed cavity trays, as a general rule some wide 450mm+ DPC is generally used and floded up at then ends to form a propper tray.

Manufacturers of dri-therm cavity insulation batts insist that no water will pass through their product. This effectively means that penetrative water stays on the outer leaf side of any cavity lintels.
As said, we use 450mm dpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back