Cavity Wall Insulation - Air Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had cavity wall insulation installed and have noticed that they filled in all the air-bricks with silicone sealant apart from one. Should I fill it in or has it been left open for a reason?

Sponsored Links
are these airbricks that ventilate the subfloor void, or that ventilate the room?

how do you know the installers blocked the vents, and not some other person previously?

is there a gas fire in the room with the open vent?

Thanks for the reply. They are bricks within the outer wall about 6" x 6". They look a bit like a 'grid' or waffle if you like! They were not filled in before the insulation was done. No gas fires.

Where are they in the walls? Up high, down below ground floor level or what? Do you have a suspended ground floor?

Sponsored Links
There are several at the front and back of the house. One is about 2 feet from ground level the others are at various heights. No suspended floors

OK. One is about 2 feet above ground level. Another is about 6 ft above ground level. Another is just below the guttering. The blokes who did the walls said they should be sealed up. I think they just missed one, but I presume then, the placings of the vents are important..

I am going to guess that the airbricks do not ventilate the rooms and that there is no corresponding airbrick in the inside wall, even if covered up, and no duct from the outside to the inside.

I am going to guess that the high level airbricks positioned near the top of the wall are pretty well directly above the low level ones.

In which case they would have been to ventilate the cavity and are no longer required.

Any external airbricks that have a duct behind them communicating with the room are to ventilate that room and should not be sealed up. These would normally be positioned near the ceiling of the room they ventilate, especially bathrooms and small bedrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back