Cavity Wall Insulation - Bison Beam and Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok in short

We have been offered free cavity wall insulation (3 story town house) but a neighbour has said he thinks it is not compatible.

Apparently the house is built using Bison Beam and Block and the internal walls have a 2" foam insulation. There is no sign of any vents at DP level so he believes that the ventilation is gained by using the other 4" in the cavity.

Filling this with insulation will mean that the air can not circulate and will cause damp.

Does this sound correct?

Any advise will be great house is about 10 years old and I can confirm there is a about 4" cavity and then a sponge type substance (felt it from the gap next tot he electric meter).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would have expected the house to already be fairly well insulated if only built 10 yrs ago as it would have been constructed to 2002 Building Regs. Whilst obviously not the absolute latest Regs they did call for fairly good levels of insulation so I would be wary about trying to add more.

You do not fill the remaining cavity that is left when buildings are constructed using 'partial fill' method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back