Channel in ceiling - tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm rewiring my living room (with mate who's a sparky) and need to make a channel for the wires in the ceiling as I can't get in from above floorboards (chipboard). I want to do it with a less mess as possible (I know there will be a fair bit) so I'm planning on drilling upwards with a circular bit to take a bit out of the joist then pulling the wires through.

Anyone got any better/other ways to do it - other than dropping the whole ceiling?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you not lift the chipboard upstairs and then refit afterwards? Or cut sections of the chipboard and then refix with new noggins?

This seems liek a far better solution than ruining a ceiling which will never look right again unless you skim it...

Sponsored Links
I was speaking to my father (plumbing and heating engineer) about this just the other week. I asked how he dealt with chipboard floors.

Lift the carpet and set the depth on your circular saw and cut the access you need. In from the top is less messy surely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back