Cleaning old bricks???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to clean the brickwork on my Victorian property. They are yellow bricks but covered in dirt and grime. The house has a lime mortar so I don't want to damage this or the brick work. I know not to use a pressure washer or anything that could damage the brick or mortar.

I've read that perhaps a chemical cleaning acid is the best choice. Can anyone recommend how to clean my external brickwork without damaging the mortar or bricks themselves? [/b]

Sponsored Links
It may seem a stupid question but have you tried cleaning with a hard brush and a decent detergent?

Avoid acids and aggressive cleaners as they are likely to damage the face of the brick and may make the problem worse in the future

Sponsored Links
It's not a stupid question at all. I haven't tried this no. It has crossed my mind to try but thought I should try seeking advice first.

Any particular detergent to try? I have a stiff wire brush I could use

Don't use a wire brush - you may leave fragments behind which will rust and stain the faces.

Try diluted sugar soap - wear suitable gloves and eye protection

Try to avoid scrubbing along the mortar lines - try diagonal strokes.

If it makes a difference then try with a broomhead - whatever you do test on a small area first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back