Concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have a house built 1902 of stone here in rainy Devon.
The ground floor is concrete, at least I thought it was, when it rains there are damp patches,so I openend up corner of room and there is only a few inches of screed over stone rubble (looks like farmyard) No d.p.m.

So Question
I will dig floor out, Such an old house I am not sure if house has decent foundations,so how far can I go down? We have decided to go for a timber floor, what I would like to do is take it down far enough to allow for a subfloor of 100 mm of concrete with dpm below ,with 100x50 fixed to this,(50 mm side down) then insulate between joist ,then fix boards to this,oak flooring.
How does this sound?
Would this be notifiable work to building regs?

Sponsored Links
I would imagine the lack of replies is because work like this is much more judgement based than right or wrong.

It would be daft, based on what you have said, for anyone to recommend

'yea it'll be fine dig away'

In reality it may well be a problem. How far can i go down? is very subjective. A few photo's and more description might prompt a few answers

maybe instead of digging the inside,
a small bit needs to be hug up outside,
like 50cm by 50cm and see how down you can go?

Sponsored Links
Thanks r896 & Ibby yes I understand what you say abot digging ,
What about my method of restructuring floor ? does it sound ok?Can you see any problems ?

You will only know once you have dug a small viewing hole to check the foundations.

a house built so old may not have equal foundations.

You also have also take into the fact wooden floor needs ventlation. or else moisture build up could damage the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back