Concrete lintel cracked on top of window cracks in wall +pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I noticed cracks in the wall and also it seemed like the UPVC window frame was bowing.

So decided to hack off some of the plaster/undercoat and have discovered that the lintel has a crack running horizontally across (see pics)

What is the best course of action? It is an upstairs bathroom window.

Sponsored Links
How long will it take a builder to change?

And will there be collateral damage? Rough costing?

Is this a cavity build wall, if so that would most likely the crack will only be affecting the internal leaf. The worrying thing would be how has this happened?? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Nope it's not a cavity wall pinenot.

The cracking also shows on the outside of the window. It's a 1930 build, no cavity walls. So guess this makes it a more serious issue?

Yep, although that then means it could also be a stone lintel, (delamination) however it doesn't look likely.
OK, first off I would want to brace that with a small Accrow (hire shop or get in a builder) from the cill (all covering removed) then hack off all remaining plaster, see what's under there and what damage is done.
Second - its an upstairs window, is on a eaves wall or gable wall i.e. how much stone/brick is above it?
Third - what is the wall made from, brick or stone and how thick is the wall if stone built??
Also it looks roughcast from the refection in one of your photos, can you confirm??? ...pinenot
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back