Concrete worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post on here. Basically I'm buying a house and in the quote for the kitchen fitting the man made stone worktop is coming in about £3000. My Mrs is keen on a concrete worktop (because she is weird like that) and it has some great properties. The color we were originally going for was a dark grey and I've seen some great pictures of what can be achieved in concrete but being a stingy git and with not many (if any) manufactures of concrete worktops in Northern Ireland I am seriously considering doing it myself.

DIY concrete work surfaces seem to be the in thing in America and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing it in the uk? I've done quite a bit of research and know the basics of using melamine faced wood for the moulds, how to cure it, polish it etc.

What I really need help and tips with is getting the right mix/additives to give the concrete the best strength and least chance of shrinking or cracking. As well as any sealers or waxes that you guys could recommend? All being well I plan on starting a few test mixes next week. Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
One piece of advice I would definitely give is think about not having plain grey - do some searches for acid etched concrete - can look absolutely stunning

DIY or professional concrete counter tops were the thing for some in America.

There can be too many expensive difficulties associated with them - not to mention the difficulties DIY'ers have got themselves into while using acid.

Depending on the footprint of the base units, there can be much supporting carefully fixed carpentry required - all centres and levels must be spot on.

Concrete is merciless - some utilities are also merciless on those who put acid down their drains.

The above rant is only my opinion because i simply dont like anything about concrete counter tops. But if you go ahead, your best reference is probably books by Fu-Tung Cheng, he probably also does DVD's. Good luck.

i simply dont like anything about concrete counter tops.
A somewhat odd position, IMO.

I can understand you not liking some - I don't suppose any of us like all the possible alternatives for any decorative finish/material/process, but given how different one concrete worktop can look to another

Acid-Stained-Concrete-300x225.jpg

concreteLarge11.jpg

concrete-countertops.jpg

concrete-countertop.jpg

decorative-concrete-11-lg.jpg

ar136191705677605.jpg

black-decorative-concrete-coutertop.jpg

concrete-countertops-custom-stamp.jpg

it seems strange to say that you don't like anything about any of them.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough BAS, i over reached myself. I do grant you that some effects are strangely beautiful.

-Given that the ones you display were probably done by experienced professionals.

But below the surface of the finished product is the environmental cost:
Three or four installers on site, surprisingly large amounts of 3/4" ply and 2" x 4" and 2"byPAR are swallowed up in the prep work. And, as above, the acid clean up factor.

For DIY'ers there's no learning curve - its got to be just right first time. A big ask.

But none of the above absolves me from claiming too much and the consequence of being pulled.

Have a look at Buddy Rhodes on U tube.
He seems to have this down to a fine art. Can even make his own edge profiles with plaster of paris.

Thanks for all the positive replys. I don't think I'll be doing anything with acid. There is no need for it unless you are going for that particular look...which we are not. I have plenty of help for the lifting and fitting but I will continue the page with how I get on.

If anyone has anymore tips they are greatly appreciated. If you don't like concrete countertops good for you - I don't need to know.

FlyingTed,

Besides my opinion on conc C/T's i gave you some solid advice if you had the wit to read what i wrote.

You are a fool to dismiss someone who could have given you much more practical, experienced advice just because you seem to want only "positive" advice.

Judging from responses, i'm the only person so far who has actually "poured" C/T surfaces, (not as a finished surface but as a bed for tiling).

Advising someone not to locate gas leaks with a naked flame is not very positive but it sure saves aggravation.

Hi everyone, few months on and after quite a few different mixes this is what I've got. This was my final tester which I could have filled all the pinholes but frankly couldn't be bother spending the time for a tester.

The problem I have is that I sometimes get a bit of discolouration around the edges on my testers and was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of it if it happens on my actual worktop? Or better yet how to stop it happening all together?

Many thanks!

Is that a hand trowelled finish? Or is that the finished face from the base side of the mould were looking at?
Hence the air pockets.

Maybe your trowel didn't finish out to the edges evenly due to side bullnoses being left on?

I don't know but it looks good.

The image on the left looks "matt" whilst the closer up image has more shine.
Did you follow this method for that sample..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmJr7cQlkQ

Any update? How did this turn out?

I am also interested in trying this. No one seemed to actually answer the questions on mix, additives etc....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back