DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Converting a conservatory into a sunroom/ additional room?

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teachmesomethingnew

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote

I currently have a 3m x 3.5m traditional, I think Georgian style conservatory in a south west facing garden. It has dwarf walls, lots of draughts between roof and walls and is freezing cold in the winter and unusably hot in the summer. To get better use from the space, I'm thinking about getting a builder in to convert it into a more normal room. I'm thinking of reusing the existing double glazed double French doors to the garden and some of the existing windows, then adding brick walls/columns to take the weight of a tiled roof and all the hardware that goes with it.

Would this be a reasonably straightforward job to do?

And would I need to persue any permissions? There is planning for the conservatory already.

Can anyone see any reasons that this would be hard to do?

It's just a thought at the moment and am looking for views or experiences before trying to find quotes for the work involved.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote

If the foundations have been put in by a conscientious builder and not a 'connie expert' then you may stand a chance if you demolish everything down to ground level and start again.

Otherwise if it is a typically built connie then get the digger in and start again.

Building regulations start at a metre underground and are relevant throughout the entire build. Unfortunately connies side step the whole regulation thing during the entire build process.
 Alert Moderators
icornish

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote

We have the same challenge. Everyone else in the (south facing) street has a conservatory, and the same complaints. We wanted to build a conservatory, but the planning guy suggested we didn't... and end up with a more usable room.
So, we went with the full room option. whilst digging the foundations, we found we had to underpin the foundations of the neighbours conservatory (which were almost negligible). They were disgusted at the lack of depth, and are now thinking of pulling down theirs and starting again...

Anyhow, planning is not usually an issue, and building regs are so far so good (we are just out of the ground with our build).

As it's south facing, I'd strongly urge you to do a proper build, and make it all as good as you can do.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: