Core hole beneath lintel bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone advise if the position of the core hole in the attached pic is a problem? It's for an extractor fan and I was tight for space on the internal wall, but didn't mean to get so close to the lintel! The timber lintel you can see is only supporting a course of blocks so no worries there. But I'm less sure about the concrete lintel on the inner skin, which will be carrying the weight of the roof trusses above. I think it has a similar bearing to the timber lintel you can see (about 100mm). A stupid thing to have done I know but i'd like to know just how stupid, and whether I can stop worrying about it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cant really see the problem it would appear you have around 150MM from the edge of the hole to the reveal i dont see a hole that size and shape in that position posing any structural problem.

As above.

How do you propose to fix the last bit of the ext. terminal?

The wood "lintel" that can be seen in the pic appears to be a board covering whatever lintel is behind it? Is that the case?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Based on tony's assessment I've decided to knock the house down and rebuild from scratch. And it's not a board but a 6inch square piece of oak with genuine woodworm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back