Correct Joist hoist hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im having a loft conversion after xmas, my builder is currently on holiday abroad and has told me to buy metrials.
I have bought the joists and now about to buy joist hangers.
He has told me to buy masonary to timber joist hangers. I have had a look at some and they seem to slot into motor?

The house is a mid terrace, now before i buy these i just wanted to be sure if they are the right ones? I just cant see how he will be able to bolt these on2 the wall without takin few bricks out?

Sponsored Links
This type of hanger is built into the wall and rely upon a body of masonry above the hanger for stability.

However, these hangers are fixed to timber or steel whereby the top flange of the hanger is left open or exposed.

This type of hanger is built into the wall and rely upon a body of masonry above the hanger for stability.

However, these hangers are fixed to timber or steel whereby the top flange of the hanger is left open or exposed.

If it is left open or exposed is that safe? He has told me these are stronger and safer than jiffy hangers?

This type of hanger is not suitable for fixing to a top course of masonry as it will dislodge the top brick or block and the fixings themselves could fail.

However, if he were to strap a wall plate to the top course, or indeed if a plate already exists, then these could be fixed to the wall plate.

Sponsored Links
If the joists are spanning front to back then I can't see how masonry hangers will work.

If the joists are going side to side off the party walls, then they may be OK

If the joists are spanning front to back then I can't see how masonry hangers will work.

If the joists are going side to side off the party walls, then they may be OK

The joists are going off the party walls.. Im just confused how he will bolt the joists to the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back