Correct material for blocking hole in house wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have replaced a 1st floor bathroom. The old toilet had an overflow pipe from the top of the cistern which went out through a hole in the house wall (hole went through cavity wall ie through inner blockwork then cavity and then through outer brick to the outside of the house).

The new toilet has no such overflow as any cistern overflow is directed into the toilet pan itself and then down the soil pipe.

I removed the now redundant plastic overflow pipe which was in poor condition so now I have a 1 inch diameter hole in the house as described.

Please could someone tell me what material to use to fill / block said hole. Needs to be water / weatherproof. Was thinking maybe some kind of water proof render and/or mastic?

Many thanks all.

Sponsored Links
You either use just sand and cement or fill the bulk of the hole with a silicone sealant and then top fill the hole with sand and cement. Do not push it in so far as to bridge the cavity though. Work from inside and out to help prevent this happening. Both methods are water/weather proof.

Traditionally any hole like that has been plugged with mortar.

This is the same material that is used for bedding and pointing the bricks and totally effective at waterproofing the wall.

You could start by pushing a little material into the hole first. Rolled up newspaper or plastic bag to prevent wet mortar going too far into the hole and falling down the cavity.

More expensive and questionably suitable would be to use a bought mastic. There are so many types available and something like a window frame sealant would probably suffice. Choosing a suitable colour is probably advisable although most mastics can be over painted when they have dried or set.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I noticed that when I had finished.

But the delete button seems to have been removed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back