Cost of Extension - Builder or project manage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are looking to build an extension. It will be a straight forward 5m x 4.5m single storey 'box' added to the rear of the bungalow, with a vaulted ceiling, velux windows in roof, and bi fold doors.

A local builder has quoted a 'ball park' figure of £1100 per metre, plus extra £5000 for 3m bi fold doors and 4 velux windows. Total £30k.

I am considering project managing myself and getting in the various trades to undertake the build, ie groundwork, brickie, roofer, plasterer etc. These would be paid daily rates (Essex).

The question is..........would I save much by doing this, or, in the opinion of those wiser than me, would the saving be marginal.

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
What experience do you have of the building trades or doing a large DIY project like an extension?

How much "homework" have you already done?

Given the above questions - why are you already talking about "day rates"?

Thanks..

We have a couple of buy to lets we have refurbed and I have always used individual trades. (I now have good contractors for all types of work)

For example a builder quoted £900 to build a small wall and lay a concrete base.

I used a brickie for the wall and sourced the bricks myself, a carpenter to frame out the large base, and sourced a supply and lay concrete load. The total doing this was £400.

I am not saying these savings would be replicated on an extension, but if I could save £5-7k it would be worth doing

If you have experience then why not go for it.

Only difference is that the timing of a project like an extension is far more critical than those you may have experienced before, especially when cutting in the new roof.

Also, you have to understand that the linking of the various trades and all the responsibility lies with you. There are many rules and regulations that will need adhering to so do your homework.

All I will say is make sure that you trust your architect and that his drawings are bang on. If there are things that need quizzing on the drawing, do you think that you are experienced enough to spot them? If the shoite hits the fan and building control have an issue, it will be you in the firing line whilst the trades people you employ will shrug their shoulders.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back