Damp bricks above dpc internal outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Its about three courses above the dpc.

I have been trying to fix a problem with the dpm which was not tied into the dpc, so hacked the screed out along the edge all around then applied a liquid dpm onto the slab upto the dpc.

The plaster had practically fell off all around the outside walls to about 1ft up, i have since had this replastered and the screed filled back in.

I then noticed the damp coming onto the floor and wall so hacked off plaster again and noticed the damp bricks. Its also damp in the corner of the adjoining bedroom.

On a side note when i removed the carpets up when we moved in it pulled up some vinyl tiles which were stuck down with black bitumen. I have removed them all now and covered the bitumen with a slc.

Im starting to wonder if this was a good idea? Only because the tiles may have stopped any moisture coming through the floor due to a crappy dpm? I might be over thinking it.

It feels damp inside, but im not sure if thats due to having no heating and a cold un-insulated floor?

Alot of the furniture has gone mouldy(green) and the slats under the bed too, its stinks.

Sorry for the essay. Appreciate any tips.

Sponsored Links
Would help to have an idea of the type, age and construction of the house. Materials? Does it have cavity? External ground level compared to internal? Photos are usually useful.

Sorry forgot about that.

Its a 2 bedroom bungalow, built in 1969 with cavity wall, apparently insulated. Brick outside, with blocks inside which are directly plastered. The ground outside is lower than the internal floor level.

Edit: Added exterior pics, first pic is the other side of those internal damp bricks. Then the pics go along the front of the house to the corner then up the drive.

View media item 72723 View media item 72724 View media item 72725 View media item 72731 View media item 72736 View media item 72739 View media item 72740 View media item 72738 View media item 72735 View media item 72737

Sponsored Links
Not a builder so you do need other peoples opinions on this.

That internal rendering needs to be cut back at least above the damp proof course, (it appears to be going down to floor level on the right of the picture), this is probably breaching the damp course.
Secondly, outside you appear to have a similar problem with the outside rendering. It needs to be above the dpc and at least 6" or 2 brick courses above the dpc to prevent splashback during rainy times.

I'd take a look in the cavity - maybe cut out a brick internally. It could either be cr*p in the cavity or a gap in the insulation. Either will cause dampness. When you re-plaster use a renovation plaster - definitely not standard bonding or browning.

Hi,

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Its about three courses above the dpc.

I have been trying to fix a problem with the dpm which was not tied into the dpc, so hacked the screed out along the edge all around then applied a liquid dpm onto the slab upto the dpc.

The plaster had practically fell off all around the outside walls to about 1ft up, i have since had this replastered and the screed filled back in.

I then noticed the damp coming onto the floor and wall so hacked off plaster again and noticed the damp bricks. Its also damp in the corner of the adjoining bedroom.

On a side note when i removed the carpets up when we moved in it pulled up some vinyl tiles which were stuck down with black bitumen. I have removed them all now and covered the bitumen with a slc.

Im starting to wonder if this was a good idea? Only because the tiles may have stopped any moisture coming through the floor due to a crappy dpm? I might be over thinking it.

It feels damp inside, but im not sure if thats due to having no heating and a cold un-insulated floor?

Alot of the furniture has gone mouldy(green) and the slats under the bed too, its stinks.

Sorry for the essay. Appreciate any tips.

Ive just done a job with similar symptoms, it was a bridge to the dpc caused by mortar build up from when the house was built.
i took out 6 bricks in each opening 2 courses high bottom course at dpc level and 3 bricks long then scraped out the debris and mortar as far down as i could get then bricked back up after fitting new piece of dpc.

Thx all will take a few bricks out and have root around.

Well i took the damp bricks out and it was packed solid with sand, rubble etc. The insulation is dry, but im now left with a gap where there is none.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what to do with this? I was worried about the cold spot causing condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back