Damp coming through gaps between drywall boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently (6 months ago) had a blue brick damp course done, with moisture resistant boards (drywall? Not entirely sure) stuck to the walls before being plastered.

Not less than two weeks after the job was finished, damp patches started to appear on the wall where the boards join together.

After getting nowhere with the company that did it, I thought since the patches were small, some Ronseal damp seal will do the trick, so I used some and then painted. However - a couple of weeks after that, the paint start bubbling at the damp parts.

I have two questions:

1. What did they likely do wrong for it to be "leaking" between the moisture resistant boards within a couple of weeks of the job being finished?

2. Will permanently fixing it require knocking the plaster off and putting some special compound between the boards, and then replastering?

Here is a photo of the wall up-close:
http://imgur.com/iYOulRu

Thanks in advance for any advice or information.

Sponsored Links
There is a plasterers forum! but they also do foil backed plaster board for repelling damp.

Not sure what you mean by 'blue brick dampcourse done'?
Pics of the exterior of the wall would be more helpful, with some details (eg solid or cavity? rendered? position of the damp on the internal wall ie low down or high up etc).

Sponsored Links
This is the right forum. Damp isn't a plastering issue.

Not sure what you mean by 'blue brick dampcourse done'?
Pics of the exterior of the wall would be more helpful, with some details (eg solid or cavity? rendered? position of the damp on the internal wall ie low down or high up etc).
I mean I had a damp course done in my house, and they used blue engineering bricks at the bottom of the wall (i.e. behind the skirting) to prevent damp from the ground rising up into the walls.

The wall is solid and is rendered. The damp is coming through 4 feet above the ground in a horizontal line, which is exactly where the drywall/moisture resistant boards are joined up.

My main question is if the people who put the boards up should have used something to block damp coming through the gaps between the boards.

Thanks.

You have to sort the damp issues before plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back