damp course under coping stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Coping stones over solid wall and no DPC under the stones, rain eventually soaks through coping and makes wall damp.

Would a silicone injection cream placed just under the coping stones do a similar job as a layer of DPM?

Lifting stones to place DPM and probably breaking a few, would be costly in time and materials....would have to source similar weathered coping.

Sponsored Links
I'd treat the copings with a water repellent first. And of course make sure the joints are good. Personally I'd always seal joints with a good polysulphide sealant rather than mortar.

Water repellant done, will look at poly-sulphide for the joints, but we re-pointed all the dodgy ones.

Sponsored Links
I should have added that the wall is a cavity construction from about 2001. It is block on the inner skin, cavity fill insulation, local stone outer skin with block backing in lightweight blocks.
When we did a small investigation last week, took a stone out, we found that the lightweight backing block was damp. It was quite clear that the lightweight block was damp and the mortar, around the stone we took out, was dry.
So I am trying to work out, is this actually rain penetration through the stone outer skin or is it rain penetration through the coping stones and down through the lightweight block skin?
I know the lightweight blocks are like a sponge, so any moisture ingress spreads rapidly.
I'd love to cure this as it makes a mess of the plastering, especially around the window reveals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back