Damp Issue on Internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im a little stuck and could use some advise :)..

The last year i have started to get this on an internal wall to the left of the Chimney in the front room.

Previously it was wallpapered and it had all peeled off and was wet to the touch so the whole wall was stripped back to bare brick, treated , rerendered etc etc and repainted, even using damp seal.. But still this issue occurs. the roof as also been looked and, new ridge , new tiles and all sealed up and pointed correctly, new soakers installd. Ive exhausted all my options just dont no what to do..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ok, type of property?

Is it a cavity wall or single skin? If cavity do you have cavity wall insulation?

How high up the wall does the damp appear?

Is it to the left of the chimney (as in the alcove to the left of the chimney) or just to the left hand side but on the chimney breast?

What is behind that wall? Exposed?

Is the fire place blocked up completely? Is it in use?

Do you dry clothes on radiators or airers in that room or anywhere else in the house?

Do you have an extractor in the kitchen and bathroom that you use?

Do you get condensation on windows or any where else?

What other ventilation do you have in the house, air bricks etc.?

Hi Dishman.

its a terrenced house built in around 1910.

Damp appears in random spots on the wall up at the top , in the middle in a band and also down the bottom, theres no specific pattern.

Its in the alcove yes left of the chimney. Clothes arent dried in the house no.

Chimney has a gas fire now in place and is used.

Single Skin, no cavity.. Not sure what else i could say, i had 2 new vents put in, one in the front room and one upstairs. There is also vents for kitchen and bathroom.

Ok, it is single skin, what is on the other side of the wall externally? I assume it is end of terrace? Is it bare brickwork?Or is it rendered?

Is the external wall exposed? South facing? Basically does it take the brunt of the weather?

You say "last year" it started? Have you lived in the house much longer than this? Did it get better in summer, and get worse again now?

Sponsored Links
Its the other house, ive in the middle.. We have been next door to look at the same wall on there side and can see no issue at all.

It did seem a little better in summer but still not right :(

Ive lived here 2years , it wasnt noticable when i first moved in as it was wallpaper but soon became apparent..

Do you get condensation anywhere else...especially on windows? I assume you have UPVC?

Yes on all the windows except the ones ine the front room.

Lots of water down the sides etc.

Yes UPVC in all its glory

Then this strikes me as yet another case of not enough ventilation and too much moisture in the house. The condensation on the windows is a dead giveaway.

I appreciate you have vents in the bathroom and kitchen.....but

Do these only come on when the light is on? You may want to replace these with ones that have Humidistats, which come on and stay on until the humidity is below a level you set (around 60% maybe).

Ensure the extractors are powerful enough for the bathroom and kitchen.

Do you dry clothes in a tumble dryer? Is it a condensing type or vented?
Vented is best, ensure the pipe is correctly sealed if so.

Heating and the way you use it it also important to prevent condensation.
Try not have the heating go on and off, on and off. As this heating and cooling encourages condensation to form on cold surfaces.

Try have the heating on for longer (maybe at a lower temperature). Warm air holds more moisture then cold and will give it time to circulate and get ventilated.

The damp spots on the walls may just be random coldspots which are cold enough for condensation to form on......out of interest...is the upvc in the front room newer or different from the rest?

But, it very much sounds like a problem of too much created moisture and not enough ventilation and heating control..

Look at these guides for more info:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/05/10103020/30217

http://www.bolton.gov.uk/sites/DocumentCentre/Documents/Condensation and Mould.pdf

Thanks Dishman,

I will have a look at the links and see what i can find out.

They are passive vents - kind of like plastic airbricks i guess not on/off type.

I always try and keep the heating to around 17*C but this time of year it seems hard to keep it up to temperature without the heating on all day long. Even though there is insulation in the house.

Yes there is a tumvle dryer but it is though a pipe. I ave recently replaced the pipe and checked all is sealed.

There is where your problem may lie. Passive vents are not enough for kitchen and bathroom (especially bathroom). You need active vents with humidistats.

17degrees may also be a bit cold....18-20 is a usually classed as comfortable internal temp. I appreciate cost may be a hindrance here but maybe try it and see how much more it may cost.

A vented tumbledryer through a pipe is the best method for removing moisture so thats good.

Just as a final note.....if you go ahead an get extractors fitted, there are obviously quite a range to choose from....don't just go for the cheapest...

Ensure that the vent is rated to extract for the size/type of room you put it in and the position it will be placed in relation to things like the bath/shower etc. Otherwise it may be better then useless and not up to the job.

There are some websites which allow you to filter out the choices based on room size and type of room etc. These type of sites may aid you in selecting one that best fits your needs.

Definitely get ones with humidistats though....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back