Damp on inner wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is correct forum for damp..

Have damp on an interior internal wall which has bathroom on one side (left door) and a bedroom/office on right hand side. The plaster has a sort of concrete behind it (its a brick wall) which touches the concrete floor.

I am planning on hacking back the concrete/plaster so it doesnt touch the floor.

Is this the right approach? When i stripped the wallpaper it was damp behind and still is, a week later. Thought it might have dried out..

Any advice appreciatrd. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I'd be checking your pipework if I were you - you've got a leak.

That was my initial thought too. There are no pipe in the area though! Well, there are rad pipes behind the door hinge but there is no evidence of damp anywhere else in the vacinity.

Damp has to have a source. It doesn't appear from nowhere.

Sponsored Links
In one specific area to that degree? Doubt it.

Ok thanks.

Guess i should rule out condensation too?

No pipes in that area. Where to start looking lol?

Anyone else got any ideas pls?

Have dug a bit of plaster back and it was not soaking behind...

Precisely behind the wall is a room which is being used as an office. No signs of damp on the back of that wall.

If there is no leak or rising damp, could it be hygroscopic salts in the plaster or backing wall?

1. Is the floor a solid, or a suspended floor?

2. Could you scan a plan diagram of the area showing positions of plumbing fixtures esp. the shower?

3. Are any of the nearby walls stud partitions?

4. On the other side of the stained area wall, is there a radiator in the vicinity?

5. Has any work been carried out recently?

1. Is the floor a solid, or a suspended floor?

2. Could you scan a plan diagram of the area showing positions of plumbing fixtures esp. the shower?

3. Are any of the nearby walls stud partitions?

4. On the other side of the stained area wall, is there a radiator in the vicinity?

5. Has any work been carried out recently?

Hi

1. Its solid concrete floor, ground floor

2. Sure thing, attached - hope its detailed enough. Its not to scale but not massively off, should give you an idea. The central heating pipes generally drop down from the ceiling and run alongside the outer walls of the building within the eaves space.

3. No, all solid brick walls downstairs.

4. Yes, to the left in the bathroom, and I originally suspected the CH pipes which drop from the ceiling, but there is no evidence of any leak in the ceiling and no evidence within the bathroom itself, or in the corner of that room. On the outside of the wall where the damp is, the damp is worst along the door frame (see photo) and is actually less bad/nonexistent on the exact opposite side of where the CH pipes are.

5. Nope, no work carried out recently. The fact that the screws in the skirting were rusted suggested to me this is a longstanding issue. I should point out there is damp (which I now suspect to be condensation) at the front of the office and bedroom at the bottom of the bay windows, where the brick wall meets the concrete solid floor. I am convinced this is condensation related as the occurence pattern is odd, and the temp of the concrete floor is very cold right at the edge of the room. Skirtings were rotten there also. No rotten skirtings elsewhere in house or any other evidence of damp.

Thanks, appreciate everyones input.

Oh one other thing, there is a crack in the ceiling above between the office door and the lowest stair rung, I am going to be lifting floor boards near above the damp, but i've had them up before and no evidence of damp or staining.

Cheers

EDIT; both the office and bedroom have a parquet floor. When something is left on the floor for a few days, it takes on a sort of creosote sort of smell - like a preservative. Wondering if its related. Perhaps the floors were treated for damp (though the blocks look original). Those two front rooms have had a chemical damp treatment in the bottom of the walls at some stage too (holes drilled every few cm's).

If you carefully levered off the architrave ( cut the paint with a utility knife ) nearest the damp, you could look to see if damp/moisture is present at a high level.

The main suspect is the solid floor: there's no evidence of a membrane, and you report damp in other floor wall area's, so damp may indeed be rising. Is the mortar in the brick/blockwork crumbly?

With a solid floor, the plaster/render should stop short of touching the concrete. Perhaps if you removed and examined short lengths of skirting in suspect area(s).

Test all your pipework and rad valves ( upstairs and down ) with paper towel to pick up any faint moisture traces.

Sometimes there's no clear course of long lasting action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back