Damp on internal wall in Georgian flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

In my basement/ground floor Georgian flat, I have a large patchy damp area. It is in the basement, but on an internal wall. The external walls have been damp-proofed. It is a really odd shape, and does feel cool to touch. There is a picture attached. Does anyone have any suggestions what could be causing this? And how it should be fixed? Also, should this have been flagged as an issue in my home buyers survey?

Thank you! View media item 67635

Sponsored Links
Help! Does anyone have an any advice on what might be causing it? The area of damp has definately got bigger....

no i dont think so, the fireplaces are all on the other side of the house. The other side of this wall has a bookshelf and opens into a hallway and staircase..

Sponsored Links
Could be a number of reasons; you say the external walls were tanked, but were the internal walls done as well?
Could it be condensation?
Water-absorbing salts?

Look for a leak, in an internal pipe or is the wall directly below something carrying or using water? Also the damp patch is not showing up very well in the image you've posted...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back